Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    i8uwithalime Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
    15 year old felony on my record
    In 1994 I was arested for receiving a stolen shotgun that I was going to use for hunting. I was charged with stolen property. This is now 15 years old and of course is still on my record. When I fill out applications for city jobs etc and they ask if I have a felony. I know I need to answer honestly and I do. Im asuming the employer sees the dredded word Felon and moves to the next application. How does this affect me? I think the politicians need to create a new bill for us to get better employment. I feel my chances for success are gone! If you have any suggestions or ideas please be considerate to reply! Thank You..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by i8uwithalime
    In 1994 I was arested for receiving a stolen shotgun that I was going to use for hunting. I was charged with stolen property. This is now 15 years old and of course is still on my record. When I fill out applications for city jobs ect and they ask if I have a felony. How does this affect me? I feel my chances for success are gone!

Well, if they ask if you have a felony conviction, yes, you do and then the employer has to decide where to take it from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:34 PM
    You can check out having your charge explunged, have an attorney file this in the court where the crime occurred
    fde Posts: 93, Reputation: -4

Jan 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Chucks Advise Is Much Better Then I Gave Do That!!
    onyx410 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Check no. I have a conviction and the HR people tell me anything after 7 years is fine
    MrEinstein Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jan 24, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by i8uwithalime
    In 1994 I was arested for receiving a stolen shotgun that I was going to use for hunting. I was charged with stolen property. This is now 15 years old and of course is still on my record. When I fill out applications for city jobs ect and they ask if I have a felony. I know I need to answer honestly and I do. Im asuming the employer sees the dredded word Felon and moves to the next application. How does this affect me? I think the politicians need to create a new bill for us to get better employment. I feel my chances for success are gone! If you have any suggestions or ideas please be considerate to reply! Thank You..
    Pay for a lawyer to motion to have your record expunged

Jan 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fde
    Do not fill in yes you are a felon. Take you chances man. What do you have to lose. If they look it up you don't get the job. If you put it down then you don't get the job. If they don't look into it then you have the job. If they look into it and they ask you about it say that you thought your record cleared after five years, It was something stolen and you did not know it was stolen. 15 years ago bada bing bada boom you got the job.
    :) Thank You! I guess it can be that easy if I want it to be. I like your response. I just didn't want to get settled in and then loose it all again for lying. But, I'm going to think on this one!

Jan 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onyx410
    Check no. I have a conviction and the HR people tell me anything after 7 years is fine
    :) Cool yea, I figured the same thing. Even though it will still show on my record it should be acceptable. Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Hello I:

That is HIS company. Not all companies are the same.

excon

Jan 25, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello i:

That is HIS company. Not all companies are the same.

excon
    And I'm sure most state, county employment would be the first to check too as they would have easier access to my records.
    Thanks Excon!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Okay, now you've posted this 10 times -

Looked at the site - appears sometimes you're a convicted felon, other times you're handicapped.

You are posting this site - which features you - for your own purpose.

Moderator!
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
    Having a felony on your record makes it so very hard! I am 38 yrs.old, and committed a stupid felony when I was 20! I had no idea it would "ruin" my future--but it DOES! I read all the commits... it is actually called "expunged" there is no L involved... You may be able to get it expunged, depending on the state you committed the felony... and a few other circumstances, like if you committed a crime w/ in 6 months... I was so bad between 18-22... I was sooo stupid! I can not fix mine,hopefully you can, I would Definitely look into expunging!! Good luck~~ :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a Passport with a felony record [ 4 Answers ]

Can I get a passport with a felony arrest on my record? I'm not on parole, and will be finished with probation in 2 months. Also, the Judge has given me clearance to travel on vacation with my family. It is documented on my probation papers that I am able to leave the state.

Felony record [ 6 Answers ]

I have a husband who has a felony record and he is pretty much dead in the water for 20 years he has already been out 10 but he can not be bonded,get a passport,he just got the right to vote back but every time he applies they shoot him down.I hope you are not treated as the same way excon I wish...

21 year old felony [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a little confused here. I was convicted of CCW back in 1986. I'm worried about this showing up on background checks that will be done for a couple of jobs I applied for. I went to the Michigan State Police website and ran a background check on myself. Much to my surprise, they came back...

Expungment felony/record sealing [ 1 Answers ]

What are the rules in Indiana concerning felony expungment, and or sealing a record. I have no money to hire an attorney, and the felony is recent and serious , battery on an officer. I can't buy job

Gaining a passport with a felony record [ 1 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony on there record apply for and receive a passport to leave the united states? Please only truthful responses. This is of great importance and urgency.

View more questions Search