Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Jan 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Torn Paw Pad! What to do?
    I think that Annie (Black lab 1 yr) tore her pad today at the dog park It doesn't look to bad. What should I do?

Can dogs get blisters?

Thanks!

P.S. when I put pressure on the spot directly she doesn't whine, or bite at me or anything.
    karis109 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2008, 02:56 PM
    I would leave it to heal itself, dogs paws normally heal very quick and they dontook too bad- they look a little like burns.
    Leave them be unless the dog has trouble walking. If so, a trip to the vet and some cream should do the trick.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Lindsay, it does look like she tore it a bit. If that larger tear has left a good chunk of the pad hanging, you may want to get her in to the vet tomorrow before the weekend. She may need an antibiotic shot and a stitch or two. If the torn area isn't hanging, fully wet a cotton pad with hydrogen peroxide and dab it on all the affected areas, two to three times a day for the next 5 to 7 days. This will keep it from getting infected and help heal the area. Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't appear to be healing or if it starts appears to be red and/or swollen, get her in to the vet.
    lindsayminar Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Jan 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
    There is no chunks hanging, but are the other weird darker dots blisters that could tear easily? Does any one know?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Lindsay, from the picture, it doesn't look like a blister. Are those dark dots raised bumps? If not, they are not blisters. She probably scraped herself in those areas but didn't tear the pad. You are going to have to keep her from running around for a couple of weeks to avoid any more tearing and give her a chance to heal. You can treat those the same as the larger torn area with the hydrogen peroxide.
    CalliDee Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2008, 02:24 PM
    I have 2 very active dogs who have both done what seems to be the same thing many times. Usually from skidding to a stop on something like pavement when going after a ball.

I leave off play for a week or 2 except mild play on a soft grassy surface. As my dogs are sport dogs (flyball) they also get little cuts and scratches on their paws ( they are not very careful when going after a ball).
    I have found that if it is a small wound, not deep I clean it thoroughly and use liquid bandage or new skin. After all bandaides don't stay on :) This helps to keep it clean so I don't have to worry about it getting dirty and infected; as keeping my dogs from playing is simply not possible.

Warning: do not do this if it is deep - go to the vet immediately for stitches if it is deep.

Calli

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Torn between the 2 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I'm 17 years old and there is this guy that the past 6 to 7 months We've been talking but he never seemed to want to be my boyfriend so it made me want him even more! Time went by and now he is in love with me but sometimes I feel I waited to long for him and now I lost interest,but I think...

Torn and confused [ 5 Answers ]

OK I might sound stupid, but I just need to be there at least to listen.. Me and my ex were together for about two years... and she broke up with me, I don't really know the reason, didn't want to ask her. We broke up about 7 months ago.. and now I met this girl I like and we dated a few times...

Torn in two [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This will be a longish question, I apologize in advance. My boyfriend of 4 years chose to end our relationship in February. We had lived together for 2 years. After 6 weeks he contacted me, telling me he had made a terrible mistake and wanted to come "home." I said no, moving back...

I'm torn. [ 4 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years. We dated a short while before this and it ended because he went away to school and he thought It wouldn't work out. I was heart broken and I tried to move on by dating other people. Nine months later we started talking everyday, he came to visit every...

Torn about my ex-gf [ 7 Answers ]

I broke up with my girlfriend about 5 months ago. We broke up mainly because she was starting a new school and would be very busy. We both still had feelings for each other, and there were some moments after the break up where we almost did get back together, but for some reason or another...

View more questions Search