Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Goodman Gas Furnace not lighting
    We have a GMT or GMTH Goodman Power Vented Gas Furnace. Yesterday the gas stopped lighting up. We think it might be the ignitor. Our home is 4 yrs old. When we turn the thermostat onto heat, the furnace fan comes on, but no fire. Any suggestions? Weird is that when it is on auto, it won't turn on at all.

Thanks in advance
    kess
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kess
    We have a GMT or GMTH Goodman Power Vented Gas Furnace. Yesterday the gas stopped lighting up. We think it might be the ignitor. Our home is 4 yrs old. When we turn the thermostat onto heat, the furnace fan comes on, but no fire. Any suggestions?? Weird is that when it is on auto, it won't turn on at all.

thanks in advance
    kess
    The "auto-on" switch on your thermostat controls only the fan. In auto mode, the fan cycles with the heater or air conditioner, in "On" state, well... it's *on*-regardless of call for heat or cooling.

First-always first-check your filter. If it was packed, this may have contributed to or caused the problem.

You say the furnace fan comes on-do you mean the blower or the little motor at the top of the burner (inducer)? If the blower comes on and the fan switch on the stat is in "Auto" then you likely have a limit tripped-something overheated or failed, and the furnace is out on limit.

Your problem is most likely in the hot surface ignitor. Set the temperature to 75 degrees (or 10 degrees higher than room temp). Turn heat on at stat. Go to furnace. Shut off furnace at service switch. Turn back on, wait for heat to cycle. Small inducer should start to run, followed by hot surface ignitor glowing orange, followed by main gas valve, and 1-2 minutes later fan.

See where it's not happening. Shut down furnace. Unplug ignitor (ceramic base has 2 wires coming out terminating in a plug) from matching plug. Turn furnace on, check for 120 volts across pins feeding ignitor. If 120 volts is present, but no glow-its the ignitor. (A quick look tells many times-a "hot spot" or bright white mark on the ignitor indicates a blowout.) If you don't get 120 volts to the ignitor, check condensate traps and clear them, pull tubing on pressure switch and clear. If water in pressure switch tubes-it's a condensate problem.

Also (but less common) note that Goodman had a problem back in the 90's with "crust" developing in the tubing connection of the inducer housing. The port for the pressure tubing would get clogged with combustion by products and eventually clog-killing the pressure switch action. Simply running a 1/8" drill bit through the port usually fixed the problem-for good. This may or not be applicable, as I haven't had to work on one in several years, and it's probably been remedied by now. Just a thought.

Afterthought:There should be a small red LED flashing in the lower compartment. Cycle the furnace, and count the flashes, the compare to the diagnostic code-usually printed on inside of cover. This will tell you in which area the failure occurred.

Hope this helps.
    gibbske Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
    The last step in the sequence involves the flame sensor. I have the same problem...
    The low fan comes on, the igniter heats up, flame comes on, then poof, it goes out. Tries the sequence three times and if not successful, it will wait for an hour before trying the sequence again.

My though is that we need a new flame sensor. I'm looking for somewhere to buy one. Anyone try this fix with any results?

Thanks,
    -KEG
    gibbske Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:07 AM
    I found a few other posts with the same scenario and the advice given was to clean or replace the flame sensor (Thanks hvac1000). So last night I cleaned the sensor by scrubbing it lightly with fine sandpaper. There was indeed a sort of "glazing" on the probe. After reistalling it, things have been fine for each cycle of the furnace that I noticed through the night.

Hope this helps!
    -KEG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Goodman Furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I have a two year old high efficiency Goodman furnace that seems to have problems from time to time. The strange thing is that my son-in-law had his furnace installed about the same time and he has the same problem. We have our thermostat programmed for 62 during the night and at 6:00 am it goes...

I have a Goodman gas furnace. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Goodman gas furnace approx 6 years old. When we turn the unit on at the thermostat the ignitor will glow red but the pilot is not coming on. I have replaced the flame sensor. Any suggestions? The LED was flashing 1 blink for possible ignitor or flame sensor but has sense quit flashing. ...

Goodman furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace flame will stay on for 5 seconds and shut off. Led light on circuit board flashes once after it completes cycle. 1 flash indicates the following possible problems: Gas flow... Gas pressure... flame sensor... as a result, everything seems to be working normal. However, I did replace the...

Goodman Furnace did come on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a Goodman GMH950904cx furnace. I installed it about a month ago, and it worked fine when I turned it on. Recently, the weather chilled and I tried to turn on the furnace everything worked except there is no gas coming up. The motor runs, and ignitor light up but no GAS. The gas tank is...

View more questions Search