Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Jan 22, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Drywall For Large Room- Walls and Ceiling
    I have a space that is about 30' x 14' that needs to be drywalled, both walls and ceiling. Does anyone know what the approximate cost for something like that would be? There's currently paneling on the walls and a drop ceiling throughout, which is hung from bare beams on one side of the room and covers a damaged ceiling on the other side of the room... would it be smart to demo the rooms ourselves and just have someone come in to put the drywall up on the beams?

Thanks for any advice or input.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Last time I took anybody to buy drywall it was around an average of $15. To $30. A sheet.
    It cost my neighbor almost $200. Just for the drywall for the ceiling.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
    $9-$12, for 1/2" 4x8 sheets, depending on your location.

at $10 a sheet, you're looking at about $.50 a sq. ft. including compound, screws and tape.

Your room requires 1,124 square feet of drywall.

Total cost: $562.00

If you were to pay someone, they would charge around $.70 a square foot to hang dw plus materials, per sq. foot(that is the cost in this area, but again, it depends on the location), which means you would save around $785.00.

To find out what you're looking at cost wise, find out the price for a sheet of drywall and visit this page. Plug in your numbers and you'll get an idea of what you're looking at price-wise for the drywall only. You'll still need to purchase the ancillaries, which explains my higher cost.

thanks,
    json
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jan 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Going by your dimensions it would take approx 36 4x8 sheets which would equate to about $125. That does not take into account any doors or windows. If you have never installed sheetrock before I would recommend finding local sheetrockers to put it up. They can be finished in in about three days including tape & bed

Jan 22, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Dr, where can you get a sheet of dw for $3.50? I'm in awe.

Thanks,
    Json
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Im figuring around $1200 to $1400 for materials and labor. We charge $17.50 a board to finish. Plus the sheetrock its self at $12 or so a board, plus tape and mud. Lots of mud, sandpaper I think that will put you in the ball park

Jan 23, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Json Our local Lowe's sells 4X8 sheets (2 pieces taped together) for $7.27. Home Depot is about the same.

Jan 23, 2008, 07:32 AM
    I called Lowe's when they opened this morning just to verify the price I gave above and was surprised to learn that it's now $5.98 1/2 4X8 sheets.

Bring your trucks and stock up.

Jan 23, 2008, 08:16 AM
    That's astounding, DR. I'm dropping $9.42 a sheet. My remodels wouldn't hurt so much if I could get dw that cheap.

Of course, the gas bill between NC and TX would probably offset my savings in drywall :)

Thanks,
    Json
    BraxaRI Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr1757
    Json Our local Lowe's sells 4X8 sheets (2 pieces taped together) for $7.27. Home Depot is about the same.
    If you ask (don't since you might have a good think going), it is probably $7.27 for each sheet of the 2-pack ($14.54).
    toddphoto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Of course there are different types of sheetrock. Does it make that much difference to use the mold resistant in a basement? Is the extra $5 a board make that much difference if you are planning to paint anyway?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair wet drywall in ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We have a leak in our bathroom and it was messed up the drywall ceiling downstairs. What do I need to do? Thanks

How to decorate a room with a large zebra fabric covered sofa [ 5 Answers ]

I have just bought a large zebra fabric covered sofa and need some advice on how to decorate the room. At present it has a mid green carpet and pale yellow walls - should I change these and what colour should the curtains be

Bowing drywall in ceiling [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 3/4 inch bow in some of my ceiling drywall. I can barely reach the rafter with drywall nails and I didn't use screws because the wood is so hard. I was wondering if I could jack up the ceiling with a deadman and then nail it, plaster it and let it dry before moving on to another section....

Strange problem effecting walls in one room in house [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: My daughter has a purple room. Ever since I painted it I noticed that if you hang a picture on the wall for any length of time and remove the picture, it looks as though something brown, like a soda ran down the wall right behind the picture. At first I thought it actually was a...

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

View more questions Search