Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cinddmel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Can I fix a hole in metal pipe under bathroom sink?
    Just the other day after cleaning out a clog in the bathroom sink, I noticed it started to leak and after inspecting it I saw that there is a hole in the metal pipe.
    The hole is on the lower part of the pipe (on the lowest part of the J shape that forms it) - it looks like the pipe is corroded.
    Is there something that I can use to plug it, or do I have to replace the pipe.
    :confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 02:17 PM
    That's a "J" trap. Cheap enough at the local hardware store. The metal is very thin. You may need a large pair of Channel locks to remove the nuts.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 22, 2008, 03:41 PM
    I agree with KISS just replace easiest and cheapest fix most likely
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    That's a "J" trap. Cheap enough at the local hardware store. The metal is very thin. You may need a large pair of Channel locks to remove the nuts.
    Definitely replace it.

If its in a vanity, replace it with a PVC tubular plastic p-trap.
    plumberman Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 05:06 PM
    I agree with everyone but growler. The PVC nuts break way to easy I always go with the old style chrome traps.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 23, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Plumberman going to have to disagree there. I use pvc traps and fittings way more often than metal because the city water around here doesn't eat through them over time like it does the thin walled metal ones. I agree with Growler unless its decorative use the pvc I never have any trouble.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 09:12 PM
    I agree with Iamgrowler about PVC over metal. However the posters question was asking if there was something he could use to plug the hole and the answer is yes, plumbers expoxy putty. Most all of us would just replace the pipe and that's the right thing to do but we do not know if cinnmel has any skills at all. He ask is there something to plug it. I might use expoxy putty if I did not have the part in my truck, just as a temp repair.
    clive travers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 11:34 AM

Can I repair a small hole in a metal sink ?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive travers View Post
    can i repair a small hole in a metal sink ?
    Yes, you could. (... to stop it from leaking ). But the final effect is not too appealing.

cinddmel: as our Experts all suggested: replace it. It is cheap and sure fix.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 08:18 PM

I sure hope cinddmel did something, this was 4 months ago. LOL
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Growler, Bob,
    I know this is a old thread but I curious. You have a chrome "J" bend that's ate up.
    And you advise replacing the "J" bend with a PVC one. The trap tail coming out of the stub out's chrome. You're going to connect a PVC "J" bend on to a chrome trap tail?
    Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in pipe in bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak in my bathroom sink pipe. The leak is in the top of the pipe coming out of the wall(hole in top). I have tried to take the pipe out by twisting it to no avail:( . Should I try to saw the pipe, or call in a plumber? What is the best way to fix this leak? I tried to use tape and...

Bathroom Sink Pipe Assembly [ 2 Answers ]

Bathroom Sink Pipe Assembly There is a pipe from the drain that is a "Slip" type of joint. It slides inside of another pipe. I'm having problems getting it to be water tight and not leak. What am I not doing right? Is it the size of pipe that is the problem? Do I need a special part? Am I making...

Replacing J pipe under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get some instructions on how to do this properly? It had started to leak at the connection under the sink, and when I went to inspect it it just came apart! I have the parts to replace it. I don't want to call a plumber just for this. It seems like it should be simple but of course is not...

Pipe snapped replacing bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water pipe snapped behind the shut off valve on the threads inside the wall. I do not know how to weld properly and the main water supply for the whole house is shut off. What do I do? Is it possible to bypass just one bathroom sink and allow water through out the rest of the house?

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search