Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxmanmark2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
    401k withdrawal while on disability
    In the last year, 2007, my wife withdrew funds from her 401k that she had with the company she used to work for. We got a statement from the bank that held it indicating the amount that was taken out. She has been drawing disability pay monthly for the last 2 years. What would be her tax liabilty, if any, on the money that was taken out of the account?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Do you file jointly as married? If so, then the total amount of the withdrawal is added to your joint income and taxed accordingly.
    taxmanmark2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmanmark2008
    In the last year, 2007, my wife withdrew funds from her 401k that she had with the company she used to work for. We got a statement from the bank that held it indicating the amount that was taken out. She has been drawing disability pay monthly for the last 2 years. What would be her tax liabilty, if any, on the money that was taken out of the account?
    We do file jointly. We use TurboTax to do our taxes and I figure it will usually asks the questions about disability. I didn't know if this had to have a separate file status. Thanks for the heads up.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
    If your wife is disabled, you can attach Form 5329 to the return to claim an exception to the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

You STILL have to pay taxes, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Early Withdrawal, Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I am 62. My wife is 54. She is on SS Disability. We live in California. She has money in a 401K from her previous employer, from whom she is on disability. We would like to take a partial withdrawal. What are the penalities? Are there special provisions because of her disability status?

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

How much income tax would I have to pay on $5000.00

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

View more questions Search