Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaronfetty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I have been wrongly claimed on someone's taxes
    I e-filed my taxes and they were rejected by the IRS claiming that someone else claimed my SSN on another return as a dependent. I am 28 and I know there is no way someone can claim me. What should I do?!

Thanks for any helpful advice:)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Call the IRS immediately to straighten this out. You will have to prove who you are, of course, and they hopefully can tell you just who claimed you. If they will not tell you just who claimed you, then you should be able to file your taxes accordingly. Be sure that your efile had your correct SSN on it for starters. Apparently someone got ahold of your name and SSN.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 07:48 PM
    I agree. Contact the IRS and find out who claimed you.
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Jan 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
    This same thing happened to me, I spoke with someone from the IRS and they said that I would have to file an amended tax return for that year. (I filed paper and still got my return back pretty timely)Then they would investigate and which ever party was in the wrong (me or the person who filed my ss #) would be responsible for owing that amount back. For me it wound up being that my mother was still filing me even after I had been gone from her home for over 4 years
    aaronfetty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Thanks for the help! I will have to call them tomorrow. I have checked with all my family and no one claimed me. I am due a nice refund. I hope they tell me the info for who did this to me because I am thinking about talking to a lawyer to see if I have any options as far as taking them to court for the time and money that this delay has cost me.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 10:37 AM
    The court thing is probably NOT worth effort,

Besides, the IRS is going to come down HARD on them with a significant fine plus interest.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jan 21, 2008, 02:50 PM
    I would also run a free credit report ASAP on yourself to see if this person has done any damage to your credit. Identity theft is rampant nowadays. You are entitled to get a free credit report from all three credit reporting agencies once a year.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Good point, Mobea!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my child on taxes [ 21 Answers ]

I e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone I don't even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do I take to find out who it is and what do I do about it:mad:

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

Good guy treated wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing to see if anyone can help me to find out if I have any legal rights?I have been employed at my job since Jan, 2006 I have been a good employee always at work and do what I am yold with no complaints even when I worked 10 hours with only a 30 minute lunch break.I got sick with chrones...

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Withheld Wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about getting the refund for Soc Sec & Medicare Taxes which was wrongly withheld. I joined my company in Apr 2006 when I was in OPT and I converted my F1 to H1 in Oct 2006. My company or myself wasn't aware that employees who were in OPT were exempt from paying these two...

Wrongly accused. [ 3 Answers ]

In school I found a container and I didn't know what it was... then my deans called me down and asked to search me and said the container had cannibis in it and now I'm getting a ticket. I didn't even know what it was. They said it had residue in it. How can I get out of it? Reply asap Thanks

View more questions Search