Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimlp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Replacing Mobile Home Power Cord.
    I just bought this home and its plugged into the service entrance power pole by a 20' SJ type power cord. I want to replace the cord with 3-#6's and 1-#8 (same amount and size wire in the cord) placed in PVC conduit 18" below ground level, from the pole to the mobile home, in other words, Hard-Wire the home.
    I've looked at various things on line, but none of them give the exact conduit size I need. Would 1 1/4" PVC be large enough?
    Thanks, Jim.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Jim,

It's not as simple as you would have it to be. The first hurdle would be actual definition of the Mobile home.

If this is truly a mobile home, built on a chassis and not permanently staked down on a concrete pad, I do not believe that you can attach to a service supply by any other means than a max 26" cable. Again, that's a code issue. If it has to stay on the cable, you cannot bury the service feeds. By definition the connector to service has got to be a quick disconnect.

However, a manufactured home or a mobile home that is no longer "mobile", you know permanently parked on a concrete pad and permanently lashed down. Are a different set of Code animals.

These types of homes can have lateral service installed or overhead service. The key has to be the legal description that the local ruling authority would use to define the unit.

Once you get that out of the way, call the power company and see how much (if anything) to properly connect your home. NEC code owns from the drop or lateral into the house. NEC does not own any part of the Service Utilityies equipment or conections.

I am not an expert on Code, but I am familiar enough with it to be dangerous, so please make sure before the county ends up owing the mome, land watrer rights, children, e levels down and whatever else they figure a way to fine you for. :)
    jimlp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Don:
    Thanks! I know about the trailer being a permanent fixture, and it is, its been here since who knows when. I've rented it for 2 years and just bought it, it is tied down and the wheels are off it. It's in a mobile home park and I'm staying here till the day I die, so its not going to be moved right away. There's an old man across the way who moved in here 2 years ago in Sept. from another park, I helped him dig the trench, assemble his conduit and snake the wires, I connected the lines to the breaker box, and out at the pole. His setup is the same as mine, tied down, no wheels, etc...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 06:55 PM
    1 1/4" is fine, Have done permanent hookups in the past, and feel it is safer than the cord.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Jimlp1,

Please make sure that you get the permanent status of your home first, particularly if you are in a mobile hoe park and do not have a deed from the property parcel that the mobile trailer is on.

Better safe, then spending money on lawsuits and what not particularly if the mobile park cannot sell you the land.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile Home - Lights and power not working in certain rooms. [ 6 Answers ]

My husband isn't mechanically inclined and I rent my home from a ghetto landlord who says for me to fix things and send him a bill. So I live in a 1500 sq ft. mobile home, and right now my power to one of my bathrooms, my dining room and my sons room will not work. The TV in my sons room that is...

Replacing a pull cord on a Troy Bilt 6.5 [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one tell me how to replace a pull cord on a tryo bit 6.5. It totally broke off and O am nervous about replacing it but my grass needs mowed bad.

Replacing shower faucet in a mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I have a "Freedom" one piece faucet with shower diverter. As I look at it there are three Short pipes that apparently go into the wall. Obviously I can not twirl the whole thing around to screw in three different pipes. Can I get into this to do it from the front or am I going to have to go...

Replacing an electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home to Gas Heat [ 1 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

Suggestions on supplying power to mobile home? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a motorcycle and electronics repair shop (yeah, I know - what a combination, but that's a story for another time) on about an acre of land. I am having a mobile home moved in behind my shop. There is a power service pole with meter socket and breaker box already set about 20 feet away from...

View more questions Search