Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msanche7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Ceiling fan to fast
    I just installed a ceiling fan and it has 3 speed. The lowest setting, is too fast. I can't even see the blade turns even though its in the lowest setting. I needed to know how to make it slow, I mean slow. :confused:

Tony
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2006, 10:32 AM
    The only simple solution is to installa wall mounted speed control, assuming there is an existing wall switch now controlling the fan. Shut off the power, remove the wall switch, should be two wires connected to the switch , and purchase and install a speed control.

Most have a rotary knob , similar to a light dimmer. Some come with a low speed adjustment, that you would adjust per the instructions , close up the plate and it will bring the speed down as slow as you would like.

Very important, is, you will notice, most speed controls always bring the fan on at high speed, then you can bring the speed down from there. It is not good for a motor to start and remain at low speed.

Following link is from Grainger and shows one speed control that I am referring to along with pricing:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...605723&ccitem=
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 1, 2006, 06:49 PM
    It sounds like the switch may be bad. Does the sound of the motor speed up/slow down when the switch is changed to any of the three speed positions? If it does that will indicate that the switch is working, though maybe not properly. On every fan I've installed the low speed was "low"-you could easily see the blades and on several fans I could stop the blades at low speed with my hand without getting hurt :eek: but that's just me, wouldn't recommend you try that.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 07:25 PM
    What make/model fan do you have? Are there noticeable differences in speeds even though it's still to fast?

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the fan, you'll want to get a capacitor-type wall control and wire it in series with the fan. Set the wall control to the lowest setting, and then set the fan to whatever speed yields the desired RPM.

More information about ceiling fan controls here:
    http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-faq.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fast internet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Buddies I have a small network where I connected STU, Router, Switch and 10 computers. I installed bitdefender( Virus SCAN) on my PC.The problem is my internet is very slow and sometimes it end up not being there at all but if I restart the router and the STU then it comes back.my line is 128....

Need help fast [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me how I go about taking a loan against my 401k

View more questions Search