Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BoNNie_wOOf Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 02:14 AM
    Do you need to wear glasses all the time?
    Ok, this is kind of a secret from my mum, I'm short sighted since for a long time now , and only my dad knows about it since yesterday. I can see things like close up, but stuff like writing on the whiteboard I can't see. (So yeah... I have bad eyes as you can say)

So, having this year to be my last year in High School, I'm planning to get glasses, but I was wondering 'If you start wearing glasses, will you need it to wear it all the time or will your vision goes from bad to worse if you don't wear from times to times? I'm only planning to wear glasses when I needed the most.

I would have gotten glasses ages ago but my mum keeps saying that if I wear glasses I'll look ugly and all. So I'm afraid that if tell my mum she will kill me and she will start complaining that none off her families on her side don't wear glasses at all. However it's surprising that most Asians around my age are wearing glasses, is there actually a reason why for that? (I'm also Asian just so you know)

Right now I'm doing some research, and some people say that you don't need yo wear glasses all the time and some say that you do. So basically right now I have no idea which is right. So anybody, PLEASE HELP!?!?!

Also, how much does a pair of glasses approximately in Australian dollars? (I really don't want to spend much).

Thank you for giving up your time to read this! :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 02:39 AM
    I don't believe that you do. I don't and my eyesight has stayed the same for the past 6 years.

However, you should ask your optician when you get tested, they will know best.
    Glasses can be quite pricey, but they'll last you for many years. Shop around, there are normally deals going on, esspecially for students.

I think that your mum needs to get over it. Glasses don't make people look ugly, it's her preconceptions of what glasses mean that are ugly. Glasses are normal.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Wearing glasses is excellent if you need to see subtle body language and facial expressions. There's a whole new world out there that you are seeing less and less of as your eyesight gets worse. Learning to interpret what you see, not to mention the white board is so much more important than appearance.

Your mom believes what she knows, she is not a bad person. But, if I were your mom, my priority would be to help you see as much as possible, not your appearance. Contact lenses are another option.

Wearing glasses does not change visual acuity in my opinion. What does happen is that we become dependent on the focusing of our lenses (glasses) and the eye loses some of its ability to compensate. At first, that is. If you go on a trip and forget your glasses, it's bad at first, then after a few days you hardly notice.

Needing glasses and going without for as long as you have has helped you. You have learned to interpret the world differently than most people do. Sight is usually the first sense we think of. But if you get glasses or contact lenses, the world will open up beyond belief.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
    The first time you put on glasses that are your prescription you will be amazed how much you've been missing out on.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Honey, glasses aren't ugly at all. I have a new pair that I really like. I think they make me look smart and more mature. Contacts are another option. But you should only get them if you want them, not because of what your mom thinks.

My eyedoctor once told me that it won't hurt your eyes to not wear them, but it does cause strain and headaches. If you haven't been wearing them and can still read etc, then you probably won't need very strong ones. That will help when it comes to the price. I have super strong glasses, so I have to pay more so I can get a special lens that is thinner.

You will feel so much better when you can see! And you will have more schoolwork in high school, so you will need them. I'm sure if your mom understands that it is hard for you to see, she will be more than happy to get glasses. She was probably just talking about the glasses, not knowing that you needed them and that it would upset you. Sometimes people just ramble and say things they don't really mean.

Good luck! I'm not sure how much they would cost in Australia. There is a wide price variety for frames. They make some that aren't very expensive. Like I said, you probably don't need super-strong lenses, so that will help as far as cost.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Once you actually start seeing again, esp if you like to do things like drive a car or see things. You won't want to ever take them off.

Normally if you needed them for reading, you can take them off and put them on to read, but for seeing at a distance normally you wear those all the time
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Your mom needs to realize that your sight is more important than her image of glasses making you ugly. You most likely will only need to wear them to see the chalkboard and other things too far to see good. I am the opposite and only need mine to read books, the computer and things up close. Check a few eye doctors before you go for an appointment and see if the glasses they have are nice looking. One time I made the mistake of just making an appointment and I didn't like any of the glasses they had.

Jan 17, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Wow, thanks you guys. I actually feel way more confident after reading the answers posted. I guess I was too stubborn in getting glasses earlier, because I always think that by wearing glasses your eye sight will go bad if wearing it for too long. However, right now I don't think that what anymore. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
    I guess you guys are right my mum will understand if I explained to her about my problems, so I'll give it a try. (But probably I should that yo me dad)

Thank you again!

Bye
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 09:31 PM
    First of all, only your doctor can tell you whether you will need the glasses all the time. That is based on your prescription. And, glasses are most definitely not ugly. Sorry to say, but you your mom sounds like a shallow person. If you are afraid of ugly glasses, contact lenses or laser eye surgery are options. But if you are leaning more toward glasses then go get your eyes checked, and look around. Make sure to keep that presecription with you at ALL TIMES. And think about this: What's your favorite name brand of clothes? Chances are they also make glasses! If you need any help or advice, let me know. I have been an optician for five years, and an ophthalmic technician for a few months. Good luck to you!

Feb 20, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Hey guys, I really want to say thank you again. I just got my glasses just last Saturday, and you know what? I like it. My mum is now OK with me wearing glasses, so right now I'm happy. The type of glass I got was not that expensive (probably around $170 AUS), and the colour is a very nice violet metallic.

Anyway, again I want to say thank you to all of the advice given.

THANK YOU!!

Bye
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 11:45 PM
    That's fantastic. I have a purple pair as well! I love them!! I'm glad to hear all worked out!
    Peripheral Visionary Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Well I have had two different eye doctors tell me that yes, your eyes will get weaker and become more and more dependent on glasses once you start wearing them. But, as one pointed out, you still need to see!
    Vision Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary
    Well I have had two different eye doctors tell me that yes, your eyes will get weaker and become more and more dependent on glasses once you start wearing them. But, as one pointed out, you still need to see!
    They won't necessarily become weaker. You need glasses to see, period. If you want to see, wear them. Easy. Contrary to popular belief, your eyes will not get better from wearing glasses.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 12:54 AM
    I'd like to add a few things even in hindsight. Remember to shift the focus of your eyes from near to far periodically. If you do a lot of close work, like school work, get a pair of single-vision lenses that place your focal length at about 15 inches. These would also be excellent when using a computer. This will allow your eyes to relax and likely your prescription won't get worse over time. Bifocals, even though you may not need them makes close work easier on your eyes. Some optometrists will spend lots of time with you to select a pair of glasses. Various tests of accuity. Avoid the optometrists that just do, what line can you see. I wish I knew this sooner. I can easily go 7 years without a prescription change. There is something called "Computer glasses" that shifts the bifocal such that when looking straight ahead, your looking through what would be the lower bi-focal. When looking up you will be using your distance prescription. These are not for every day.

The 15 inch focal length mono glasses will help you avoid prescription changes. You can wear them for reading and using the computer such that your eyes are not strained. Being in school, you do a lot of reading. The 15 inch focal length is not what they normally set a bi-focal at. Set it at the distance you use most for reading or using the computer.

Anti-reflection coatings help a lot especially with monitors. They can be applied on the front or the back of the lens. Plastic lenses have inherent UV protection.

Edit: Changed mono to single vision- thanks ChihuahuaMomma
    Vision Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    I'd like to add a few things even in hindsight. Remember to shift the focus of your eyes from near to far periodically. If you do a lot of close work, like school work, get a pair of mono lenses that place your focal length at about 15 inches. These would also be excellent when using a computer. This will allow your eyes to relax and likely your prescription won't get worse over time. Bifocals, even though you may not need them makes close work easier on your eyes. Some optometrists will spend lots of time with you to select a pair of glasses. Various tests of accuity. Avoid the optometrists that just do, what line can you see. I wish I knew this sooner. I can easily go 7 years without a prescription change. There is something called "Computer glasses" that shifts the bifocal such that when looking straight ahead, your looking through what would be the lower bi-focal. When looking up you will be using your distance prescription. These are not for every day.

The 15 inch focal lenght mono glasses will help you avoid prescription changes. You can wear them for reading and using the computer such that your eyes are not strained. Being in school, you do a lot of reading. The 15 inch focal length is not what they normally set a bi-focal at. Set it at the distance you use most for reading or using the computer.

Anti-reflection coatings help a lot especially with monitors. They can be applied on the front or the back of the lens. Plastic lenses have inherent UV protection.

1. Mono lenses are where one lens is for distance and one for near, if you are not in need of both fields of vision corrected, these are not for you.

2. And NO bifocals with make close work easier if you do not need them, they will cause headaches and could lead to worsened vision.

3. NO optometrist will spend time with you to choose glasses, that's why they hire Opticians.

4. And with computer glasses, there aren't bifocals. There is one field of vision, this is known as intermediate. You can discuss with your doctor whether or not computer glasses are appropriate for you. But unless you need reading glasses, a need for computer glasses is unlikely.

5. I do agree, though, that an anti-reflective coating will help with night time driving, and computer screens. It also helps alot if you are under neon lighting, which nearly all schools have.

6. ALL lenses with the exception can have an added UV filter on them. Not all come with it, make sure you ask if its included.

PLEASE do more research before providing fictious advice to people seeking real advice. I won't give you a reddie for this one, although I should.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:59 AM
    1. I meant single-vision - sorry

2. Speaking from 30 years of experience with my own lenses. They help immensely. Sorry. I'm probably focused at 9" uncorrected. I can read for hours using the 15" focal length. My eyes strain badly when reading a long time with the distance corrected lenses.
    I don't need the bi-focal to see close. I chose the bifocal to make seeing close less stressful on the eye.

3. Poor choice of words: My optometrist used a vision development technique, but he was both an optometrist and optician. He spent a lot of time with me fand even let me borrow one of his simple lenses so I could add or subtract a correction to what I was wearing to satisfy ME. You can get your glasses from his office.

I've used the optometrist and optican as two entities too. The former did a much better job because he created and tested the system. The optician worked with me to get what I WANTED.

4. I have a pair. Probably best described as a high bifocal, but nonetheless looking at a computer screen is their primary function - hence computer glasses. Should I take a picture and post to see if you can tell the difference between a bifocal and a high bi-focal (computer glasses). Maybe I'll measure the bifocal in both lenses and post.

Some people have different ideas of what computer glasses are. This specific one is designed for someone that sits at a reception desk most of the time using a computer and has to look up to see people's faces clearly. The focal length of the lens when looking straight ahead is about 15" What do you want to call these then?

5.We agree on something.

6. Please fix the middle of your sentence. Plastic by definition doesn't pass UV. Glass does. You don't need to add a UV filter to a plastic lens. I you do, your wasting money.

At my last exam etc, I purchased a standard bifocal in Trivex with anti-reflection both sides and scratch. I also purchased these in Crown glass with UV on one side and an AR on the other. Finally I purchased a pair of computer glasses or hi bifocal in Crown glass as well with UV and AR. They all have the same frame.

Trivex is not a bad lens, but like most plastics it scratches to easily. Glass is not impact resistant. I dropped the new glass lenses and they cracked in a few pieces.

I go nearly forever not needing a prescription change. I usually change when night vision gets bad. I have a verticle astigmatism that's more easily corrected with lenses. I didn't know about the iZon lens at the time, but the concept entriques me.

I'd have to look for my "computer glass" reference.
    Vision Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 02:28 AM

2. Speaking from 30 years of experience with my own lenses. They help immensely. Sorry. I'm probably focused at 9" uncorrected. I can read for hours using the 15" focal length. My eyes strain badly when reading a long time with the distance corrected lenses.
    I don't need the bi-focal to see close. I chose the bifocal to make seeing close less stressful on the eye.

3. Poor choice of words: My optometrist used a vision development technique, but he was both an optometrist and optician. He spent a lot of time with me fand even let me borrow one of his simple lenses so I could add or subtract a correction to what I was wearing to satisfy ME. You can get your glasses from his office.

I've used the optometrist and optican as two entities too. The former did a much better job because he created and tested the system. The optician worked with me to get what I WANTED.

4. I have a pair. Probably best described as a high bifocal, but nonetheless looking at a computer screen is their primary function - hence computer glasses. Should I take a picture and post to see if you can tell the difference between a bifocal and a high bi-focal (computer glasses). Maybe I'll measure the bifocal in both lenses and post.

Some people have different ideas of what computer glasses are. This specific one is designed for someone that sits at a reception desk most of the time using a computer and has to look up to see people's faces clearly. The focal length of the lens when looking straight ahead is about 15" What do you want to call these then?

5.We agree on something.

6. Please fix the middle of your sentence. Plastic by definition doesn't pass UV. Glass does. You don't need to add a UV filter to a plastic lens. I you do, your wasting money.

At my last exam etc, I purchased a standard bifocal in Trivex with anti-reflection both sides and scratch. I also purchased these in Crown glass with UV on one side and an AR on the other. Finally I purchased a pair of computer glasses or hi bifocal in Crown glass as well with UV and AR. They all have the same frame.

Trivex is not a bad lens, but like most plastics it scratches to easily. Glass is not impact resistant. I dropped the new glass lenses and they cracked in a few pieces.

I go nearly forever not needing a prescription change. I usually change when night vision gets bad. I have a verticle astigmatism that's more easily corrected with lenses. I didn't know about the iZon lens at the time, but the concept entriques me.

You don't seem to know the terms for any of the things that you are describing, so therefore it's unhelpful. I've been an optician for fours years, and now am a Ophthalmic assistant. I went to school to know what I'm talking about. Let me clear up a few things.

Someone who has been wearing glasses for 30 years and someone in high school just now needing them are mostly likely going to need two different things.

Opticians are trained in the technical aspect as well as the fashion aspect. As far as adding and subtracting with the loose lenses, an optician is trained in this as well. I have used this technique many times.

Computer glasses are a combination of a distance and near prescription. That's what computer glasses are used for. You are using a high bifocal, that's what it's called, simply because you use them on the computer does not make them computer glasses.

And to say adding a UV filter to a plastic lens is wasting money, is untrue. There are four lens materials. Plastic, Polycarbonate, Trivex, and glass. Glass is the most outdated, as they are heavy and can be distorted, and are typically more expensive. Polycarbonate is the popular choice of most private practices as well as retail establishments. Mostly because they are impact resistant, and are highly recommended for children. Plastic is the most basic of lenses, all coatings must be added as it comes with nothing, but this is the best choice for those folks who cannot adapt to polycarbonate. And trivex is the newest material, and is said to cut most distortion. Most people don't notice this. Unless you have a high precription or high astigmatism, then the extra money really isn't worth it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 02:34 AM
    Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    I'd like to add a few things even in hindsight. Remember to shift the focus of your eyes from near to far periodically. If you do a lot of close work, like school work, get a pair of mono lenses that place your focal length at about 15 inches. These would also be excellent when using a computer. This will allow your eyes to relax and likely your prescription won't get worse over time. Bifocals, even though you may not need them makes close work easier on your eyes. Some optometrists will spend lots of time with you to select a pair of glasses. Various tests of accuity. Avoid the optometrists that just do, what line can you see. I wish I knew this sooner. I can easily go 7 years without a prescription change. There is something called "Computer glasses" that shifts the bifocal such that when looking straight ahead, your looking through what would be the lower bi-focal. When looking up you will be using your distance prescription. These are not for every day.

The 15 inch focal lenght mono glasses will help you avoid prescription changes. You can wear them for reading and using the computer such that your eyes are not strained. Being in school, you do a lot of reading. The 15 inch focal length is not what they normally set a bi-focal at. Set it at the distance you use most for reading or using the computer.

1. Mono lenses are where one lens is for distance and one for near, if you are not in need of both fields of vision corrected, these are not for you.

2. And NO bifocals with make close work easier if you do not need them, they will cause headaches and could lead to worsened vision.

3. NO optometrist will spend time with you to choose glasses, that's why they hire Opticians.

4. And with computer glasses, there aren't bifocals. There is one field of vision, this is known as intermediate. You can discuss with your doctor whether or not computer glasses are appropriate for you. But unless you need reading glasses, a need for computer glasses is unlikely.

5. I do agree, though, that an anti-reflective coating will help with night time driving, and computer screens. It also helps alot if you are under neon lighting, which nearly all schools have.

6. ALL lenses with the exception can have an added UV filter on them. Not all come with it, make sure you ask if its included.

PLEASE do more research before providing fictious advice to people seeking real advice. I won't give you a reddie for this one, although I should.

Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid

5.We agree on something.

Good response by Momma and good, proactive response by K.I.S.S. Best to keep things on a proactive, understanding and helpful level here, if you don't mind my saying so.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 03:12 AM
    Ok then, look at this .gov reference:

https://ergo.llnl.gov/source/evaluator/comp_glasses.pdf

It does show the "computer glasses" as I described where distance is up and a monitor working distance is straight ahead. There isn't one size fits all when it comes to computer glasses. They are called "forward lean and tilt" and "backwards lean and tilt", if you want to get technical.

That should make your computer glass statement null and void.

Note that there is information about "task specific spectacles"

This reduces eyestrain, therefore bifocals will help reduce eyestrain and prescribing them for those who "don't need them" will reduce eyestrain.

Do I have to find another reference?

As for UV, I invite you to look at the UVA/UVB properties of various lens materials here:

Corrective lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which materials will pass some of UVA and UVB?

You will find that Cr-39, the most popular lens material will pass 10% of UVB and Sola will pass 2%. All the plastics pass 0% of UVA.

Why should I pay for a UV coating for some extra fraction of 10% of UVB?

Your just as bad as the optician with 30 years experience who said glass blocks UV and he gave me a reason. Why don't you get sunburn on the face when driving in the car?

Care to take a stab at this question?

And yes, I have high Astigmatism therefore Glass is preferred and Trivex is second because of their high ABBE value, which I notice. Glass has a second preference because of its resistance to scratches.
    Vision Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 03:18 AM
    Ok then, look at this reference:

https://ergo.llnl.gov/source/evaluator/comp_glasses.pdf

It does show the "computer glasses" as I described where distance is up and a monitor working distance is straight ahead. There isn't one size fits all when it comes to computer glasses.

Note that there is information about "task specific spectacles"

As for UV, I invite you to look at the UVA/UVB properties of various lens materials here:

Corrective lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which materials will pass some of UVA and UVB?

Computer glasses are single vision. Bifocals and Trifocals are just that, not only used for computers. Are used for other things. Your links don't tell me anything I don't already know.

I am aware of the various materials and what they include. I never said that ALL lenses include everything. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Glasses [ 9 Answers ]

In my right eye I'm farsighted.. and I'm going to the eye doctor soon.. and I no he's gonan tell me that this time I need glasses.. cause I went aobut a year ago and he said I didn't need glasses then.. but come back if its gotten worse.. I had 2 notes from my school to go to the eye doctor.. and...

My PC need glasses ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have the hp pavilion and the hp psc 750 printer. We installed a cd rw, which started to slowly give me freeze ups at various times and caused numerous restarts. I have since gone back to the original cd rom pending further evaluation of rewritables. Now however my computer says it doesn't...

Need glasses [ 1 Answers ]

I already have a prescription for new glasses but on debility and am struggling with getting them. My theraptist told me to contact the Lyons club to see if you can help. I have glaucoma in both eyes , am starting to tell a difference in my sight... can you lead me to a help source ?

Diabetics and glasses [ 2 Answers ]

Do diabetics pay for the lenses for glasses or not? I know that they pay for the frames. oscar47

Eye Glasses [ 2 Answers ]

Is There A Service Out There That Can Help Someone Get A Free Or Low Cost Eye Exam And Glasses, Thank You:o

View more questions Search