Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    microexpress Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2004, 09:44 AM
    Dog gagging/renching
    I hope someone can help.
    My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the Vet.) has gotten thick with age and makes it sometimes hard, for my dog, to eat or drink. Reluntantly I accepted this answer however, my dog is still gagging and renching after he takes a drink of water. Is there anyone that can help me and suggest something different, other then t my Vets. Answer? My dog is fine in all the other health avenues. He's healthy and I hope for have him around for many years to come. No other animals live in the house. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2004, 10:56 AM
    Re: Dog gagging/renching
    You could try elevating the water dish. That might help get the water down with less air. He may even drink a little more, which may help too. I am afraid your vet may be right, little can be done.

It is tough watching our companions age. I have tried to avoid it by only keeping puppies that go to dog guide school soon after a year old in the house. However, one of them returned last fall retiring as a dog guide at 10 years old. Aster is still active most of the day, playing well with our 8 month old Lab, and eagerly going on walks. Unfortunately in the evening, it is a slow, stiff walk to the door for a last chance to relieve her self. I had a fatty tumor removed from her chest about a month ago. I was surprised and pleased that she has shown more energy even from the evening she came home after the surgery. You might try removing any lumps that otherwise don't seem to be a problem.
    moped Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by microexpress
    I hope someone can help.
    My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. and the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the Vet.) has gotten thick with age and makes it sometimes hard, for my dog, to eat or drink. Reluntantly I accepted this answer however, my dog is still gagging and renching after he takes a drink of water. Is there anyone that can help me and suggest something different, other then t my Vets. answer? My dog is fine in all the other health avenues. He's healthy and I hope fo have him around for many years to come. No other animals live in the house. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    My dog too... a 13 year old lab/chow mix...
    It hasn't created a problem for his food intake. Just a problem for our ears...
    We have his food and water already elevated.
    Wish I had an answer too...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gagging/phlegm [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 month old NSDT Retriever was gagging up phlegm (not his food) throughout the night (Saturday). We are at the lake and do not have close access to a vet. I carefully felt down his throat to see if anything was/is stuck and could not feel anything but he did have a lot more plegm in his...

View more questions Search