Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sasm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Connecting steel to copper pipe
    Broken steel 1/2 inch supply line. Need to replace section that is in a wall cavity.Can the steel pipe be cut and some sort of union or compression fitting be used to connect it to new copper piping without having to thread the existing steel pipe in wall?I do not see a way in wich you could thread the existing pipe in wall cavity due to clearance issues(very tight limited access). This supplyline runs up from basement through kitchen exterior wall to bath on second floor.pipe access is extremely limited.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
    There is a fitting called a G-coupling, it could be called a different name in different areas. It will form a compression joint onto the steel pipe and then it comes in different configurations on the other end. One would be for 1/2 inch iron pipe threads so you could solder a 1/2 male adaptor onto the copper pipe then the G-coupling would be a compression joint on both the steel pipe as well as the copper.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Compression couplings are not used inside an enclosed walll cavity so I would advise try to back out the galvanized pipe after cutting it with a hack saw or reciprocating saw. I doubt that you'd have room for much else inside a wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting copper to brass [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodelling my bathroom and need to connect 1/2" copper to 1" brass pipe, all the brass connections are threaded if I cut a section away for a compression fitting there is not enough 'play' to slide the pipe into the fitting any suggestions.. thanks Andy

Corrosion concern between brass ball valve and galvanized steel pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Is it going to cause the corrosion when connecting a galvanized steel nipple to a brass ball valve?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Connecting PVC to Threaded Copper fitting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fitting in a wall which began leaking with mold developing on the wall board. When I took out the wall the culprit was a fitting between a female threaded copper fitting and a male PVC fitting in a hot water line. I initially took out the PVC fitting and fitted the joint with a new fitting...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

View more questions Search