Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ambsizsolo1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Can Ants survive in Dec & Jan when temperature is 30 degrees?
    I am curious as to if the reason I have a zillion ants is also because of the neglectful behavior of my landlord. I have a few feet of sewage water just building up everyday affecting health, home , etc. I have noticed ants in places that there is no food. Are they possibly living off the sewage and just trying to nest in the house. Its only 30 degrees here and the only time I have ever seen any ants is in the summer time. But they are all over the place. Any help will help immensely.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
    You're not going to believe me when I tell you that you can get rid of the ants very easily. Go to the grocery store and buy some Sweet N Low packets. Take and sprinkle the ants and their nest (if you can find it) with the powder. In a short period the ants will all die. Believe it or not aspartame is one of the greatest ant killers ever produced. Don't bother with the bug killers as you will be spending a lot of money and they will keep coming back. You may need to re-do the aspartame treatment weekly until they are all killed.

And no, cold weather really does not do much in the way of killing them off as they just burrow into the ground to keep warm as the temperature of the ground about 2 feet or so below the surface is much warmer than the temperature of the air outside. Those critters can survive temps down to below zero and keep coming back in the spring.

Take the aspartame also and try and sprinkle on the ant trails that you find also as they will keep taking this back to the nest and sharing with everyone. It does take time for the queen ant to get fed the poison but once she eats it she dies and then the colony is killed.
    madygirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 01:36 PM
    When it is 30 degrees they usually can not. It is usually too cold. Sometimes a couple can find a place like a tree trunk to keep warm and can find a couple of dead ants to eat. Most of the time even ants who find places like tree trunks can not find enough ants for December and January. Thank you for your very appreciatted question I had I great time answering it. Thank you very much.
    madygirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 01:37 PM
    They usually can not live in 30 degrees. Some can though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I survive heartbreak? [ 6 Answers ]

11 months ago I ran into a childhood friend of mine and we started dating shortly after. The summer went by and I left to go back to school in the midwest. I lived on the west coast at the time, but we decided to stay together. When he came to visit me I found out he had previously cheated on me...

Will linux survive or not ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have xp and linux dualboot . The thing what I have to know is. If I overwrite 2003 server in xp , will the linux show me the dualboot option or not . Kindly help me

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Carrier Thermostat/Temperature stuck at 76 degrees [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier Thermostat gets "stuck" at 76 degrees and will not go lower when the A/C is set at a lower temperature. The house feels cooler than 76 degrees but does not reflect that on the thermostat's temperature gauge. We have replaced the batteries but that seems to make no difference. The fan...

Degrees I Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My question is: There are 4 (or more)different types of degrees, there are Farenheight, Celsius, Kalvin, and?. I was having trouble with this. Can you help me. I had no luck.

View more questions Search