Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kchica5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:53 PM
    My phone has static
    My phones were working fine tonight when I called someone but then when people call me there is a bunch of static on my phone line and I checked all my lines and eveything is connected. So I picked up the phone to call someone and there is still aton of static.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 11:01 PM
    I have had tons of problems with my phone lines. I have worked at home for years and have had learned to fix a few things

Maybe your inside jack got wet.
    Your inside jack may have gotten bumped or hit and the lines are not connected as well as they should be.
    Your line from the cord to the jack could be the problem.
    Your cord from the handset to the phone base could be the problem. If corded phone.
    The above could be repaired by you if you have the correct tools, replacement parts,the time and patience.

It could be at the main box... due to it being old, advice from the phone repairman as this has been problamatic for me.

Jan 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    I have tons of problems with my phone lines. I have worked at home for years and have had learned to fix a few things

Maybe your inside jack got wet.
    Your inside jack may have gotten bumped or hit and the lines are not connected as well as they should be.
    Your line from the cord to the jack could be the problem.
    Your cord from the handset to the phone base could be the problem. If corded phone.
    The above could be repaired by you if you have the correct tools, replacement parts,the time and patience.

It could be at the main box...due to it being old, advice from the phone repairman as this has been problematic for me.

Well we disconnted all the lines and tried it and it still isn't working. All the lines are like this. We checked the mainbox ,its OK. We checked the cords and all of that stuff. And I can't call the phone company because of all the static on my line. And I tried using my cell phone but there isn't much signal. But the phone company said they were busy and gave me a website to go to and the website is "undergoing maintence". I don't know what else it could be. But thanks anyway
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 11:22 PM
    There is a man box at the end of the street where all of the neighborhood phones are wired to. It could be where the trouble is.

Jan 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Our main box is at our house not at the end of the street, but we don't know if our neighbors have the same problem because we don't live in a neighborhood like that. More of we are far apart from each other.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
    If it is quiet when you call out, but noisey when someone called in, it may be their phone?
    I would look at the Line cord for black, green or corroded, should be gold colored, as well as the Jack contacts.
    Try disconnecting wires from house at test jack, plug in a phone to test. If noisey, try another phone, or it is telco problem.
    If you are able to disconnect and reconnect wires on jacks correctly, you could do that, find first jack, then connect additional jacks until located, may have to use a different pair.
    Line one is usually red and green. The phone line will have about 48 volts on hook, and about 9 volts offhook.
    Good Luck
    A hum could be a wire touching ground, or a bad protector in the Phone company box at your house.
    house72454 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Mine has static but when I plug it into to main box it doesn't so it has to be somewhere between to main box an inside any suggestions
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 01:31 PM

Could be corroded pins inside the jack or the end of the cord.
    Unplug everything from all jacks and plug in 1 by 1.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2011, 02:07 PM

If it is a Hum, it may be one of the conductors touching ground?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Static sound through TV [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! We have a fairly old TV (brand name Classic?) that was bought overseas. We just recently moved and now we are hearing a fairly faint (but very annoying) static sound. We hear the sound when using the television speakers, as well as when using external speakers. When we play a DVD using...

Static on YouTube, etc. [ 6 Answers ]

When playing clips from YouTube and MySpace I often hear periods of loud static. I know it's not in the posted vids since sometimes the same ones are fine. Is this likely to be a problem on my end or is it the nature of such sites? I have no problem with audio on files I've downloaded to hard...

Static Friction [ 2 Answers ]

To meet a U.S. Postal Service requirement, footwear must have a coefficient of static friction of 0.5 or more on a specified surface. In an emergency, what is the minimum time interval in which a person starting from rest can move a distance L on a tile surface if she is wearing footwear meeting...

View more questions Search