Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    envee505 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Permanent hair color -- washing out?
    Well to give a little bit of a 'background' on me... when I was 14 I dyed my hair blond ( I am hispanic - brunette) It took a long time for it to grow out when I decided I didn't like it anymore (as u can imagine). So I am 23 now and my hari completely grew out the blond just a few years ago and it was then that I tried dying my hair that dark maroonish color (sangria) I used a "permanent" product yet after 3 washings the color had all washed out and left me with a reddish - orangy kind of color that seems to be permanent. I tried that several times over these last few years with the same results. I haven't touched a box of dye in a year or so and all but a few inches at the tip of my hair still has that reddish - orangy color... it is more noticeable in the sun but what happened? During my attempts I even used a almost black 'permanent' dye which did the same thing washed out and left that color. WHAT IS THE DEAL? I don't get it... I mean okay so it washed out but with the other color left behind? Any advice ? Is my hair just not 'dyable' anymore lol?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Sweetie, it must be frustrating for you. A permanent hair color is formulated to last and cannot be washed out. If your hair is dark and you use a single process hair color on dark hair, it will result in a brassy red/orange shade. Try using a 10-volume peroxide developer with your selected hair color in equals, and leave it on the ends of your hair for 30-45 minutes. Another option is to use a hair color filler to hold the color. When you apply the color filler, let it set for the recommended time and then apply the desired hair color as normal. You will find these products at a beauty supply store. If the color still doesn't hold, please let a professional hair stylist examine your hair. He or she will take a few strands of your hair and do a strand test to see what's causing the hair color to wash out.
    envee505 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    Sweetie, it must be frustrating for you. A permanent hair color is formulated to last and cannot be washed out. If your hair is dark and you use a single process hair color on dark hair, it will result in a brassy red/orange shade. Try using a 10-volume peroxide developer with your selected hair color in equals, and leave it on the ends of your hair for 30-45 minutes. Another option is to use a hair color filler to hold the color. When you apply the color filler, let it set for the recommended time and then apply the desired hair color as normal. You will find these products at a beauty supply store. If the color still doesn't hold, please let a professional hair stylist examine your hair. He or she will take a few strands of your hair and do a strand test to see what's causing the hair color to wash out.
    I will give that a try just a little hesitant to do it wrong and get the brassiness again. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Remove/Fade Demi-permanent Hair color [ 1 Answers ]

I have been lightening my hair and coloring it different colors for years. About 3 months ago I bleached my hair to a blonde color, hated it and then ended up dying it with permanent hair color a light brown that is pretty close to my natural color. Then 1 month ago I used a dark brown...

Permanent to semi-permanent hair color [ 1 Answers ]

I used semi-permanent hair color for years, then asked my stylist to change over to permanent. Now I'm trying to grow out my hair a bit and don't need to go to the shop as often, plus I'm convinced that the permanent dye is drying out my hair. So I want to go back to semi and I want to do it...

HELP - Remove semi permanent hair color [ 5 Answers ]

I have a lot of grey hair and wanted to remove some of it - I went to a salon and used the semi permanent hair color that Supposedly George Clooney uses - It came out WAYYYYY too dark. Too much of a drastic change and now I want to remove most of it. I have tried Prell. (Nothing) I have...

Permanent & Semi Permanent Hair Color [ 3 Answers ]

HELP - I want to remove the Black hair dye (my natural color is dark brown) but I've used BOTH semi and permanent shades of black colors. Besides going to a Salon what's my best alternative? Thank you.:confused: :confused:

Refreshing permanent hair color... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! New to this site. I found it by trying to Google my dilemma. I am 40 and have re-touched my permanent color/ brunette, every two weeks for years (my hair grows incredibly fast so I have to color that frequently). My problem is that I just noticed that I have long gray hair (my hair is long)...

View more questions Search