Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AWN Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
    CPVC primer and cement
    I just had an inspection completed and was told that my CPVC joints for my water lines inside the house were not to code. I used Oakly primer (purple in color) and Oakly cement that was rated for CPVC and PVC. I was told that the purple primer was not rated for drinking water supply lines and the cement I should have used was the orange (also produced by Oakly). None of my "how to do it" books stated this nor is it stated on the label on the cans. Is this inspector mistaken?

Lost in pipeline, AWN
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 8, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Sounds strange... where do you live? This could be a "local code" thing...
    pacificradar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
    I plumbed my entire house with cpvc and used the purple primer, recommended for cpvc, but I did use the orange cement, and had no problems. I live in Washington. As PalmMP3 said, sounds strange! What cement did you use. I was told not to use a universal cement, for whatever reason. It seems ABS, PVC, and CPVC all require different glues.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificradar
    I plumbed my entire house with cpvc and used the purple primer, recommended for cpvc, but I did use the orange cement, and had no problems. I live in Washington. As PalmMP3 said, sounds strange! What cement did you use. I was told not to use a universal cement, for whatever reason. It seems ABS, PVC, and CPVC all require different glues.
    You should have used a yellow cement engineered specifically for potable CPVC water piping.

The orange CPVC cement you used is engineered for low pressure CPVC fire control systems.

Things may look pretty bleak for you right now, with the inspection results, but you'll thank the inspector later on down the road.

The higher pressure system would have failed within a year or so, particularly on the H/W side, with the orange cement.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Ummm... iamgrowler? I believe AWN mentioned that he DID NOT use orange cement, and the inspector said he SHOULD HAVE used orange cement. Pardon my directness, but that is a blatant contradiction to what you just said...
    PPFA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 08:43 PM
    AWN,

The primer is not the issue here, the cement is.

Purple primers made to ASTM F656 can be used on either PVC or CPVC piping products.

I suspect you used a multipurpose or all purpose cement, which is is not made to an ASTM standard that a third party certification agency can test to, so it lacks a marking that a plumbing inspector is looking for in your jurisdiction. It was likely cloudy or clear in color.

Generally, ASTM F 493 CPVC solvent cements used in residential construction are orange (require a purple primer) or yellow (can be used without a primer in most jurisdictions).

You may be able to ask Oatey for help, and they may already test the product independently. They might be able to supply you with something to satisfy the inspector, but the inspector has the call here.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
    PPFA, where do you get this view? "I was told that the purple primer was not rated for drinking water supply lines and the cement I should have used was the orange in color" The poster clearly states the prime is an issue as well as the glue he used, both are issue for that inspector, who apparently is in partial error. Purple primer is Ok to use with CPVC. Now my next part could be my own myth breaker because I thought red PVC primer actually referred to the label color of the can and the primer is actually clear, its just called red label primer. Hope my myth isn't busted.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PPFA
    AWN,

The primer is not the issue here, the cement is.

Purple primers made to ASTM F656 can be used on either PVC or CPVC piping products.

I suspect you used a multipurpose or all purpose cement, which is is not made to an ASTM standard that a third party certification agency can test to, so it lacks a marking that a plumbing inspector is looking for in your jurisdiction. It was likely cloudy or clear in color.

Generally, ASTM F 493 CPVC solvent cements used in residential construction are orange (require a purple primer) or yellow (can be used without a primer in most jurisdictions).

You may be able to ask Oatey for help, and they may already test the product independantly. They might be able to supply you with something to satisfy the inspector, but the inspector has the call here.
    PPFA, Perhaps it escaped your notice, but the poster is posting from Washington State, as am I -- Purple primer is the only acceptable primer for use in Washington State -- Meaning other primers are expressly forbidden under the adopted and amended code.

The code goes on to say that Purple primer is expressly forbidden for use in Washington State for potable water piping systems, which means two stage cements like the Oatey orange cement are also forbidden.

Ergo, the proper cement to use for CPVC potable water piping systems in the State of Washington is the yellow single stage glue.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    Ummm... iamgrowler? I believe AWN mentioned that he DID NOT use orange cement, and the inspector said he SHOULD HAVE used orange cement. Pardon my directness, but that is a blatant contradiction to what you just said...
    The inspector was only half right -- Purple primer is disallowed for potable water piping systems, that part was correct.

Stating that a cement (orange) that requires primer to be used was incorrect.

I'd be interested in knowing which part of the state the OP lives in -- It sounds like a quick phone call and an invitation to the inspector to attend one of my code compliance classes is in order.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Well, this is the only Orange stuff listed on Oatey's website and it's clearly for drains only.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...m%20Orange.pdf

I just bought some of the CPVC/PVC primer and cement in a handypack. The primer/cleaner was purple and the PVC/CPVC Cement was clear and the can seemed grey. It was not the All Purpose Cement.

This particular product doen't appear to be listed on the website.

The "submittal sheets" are located here:

Submittal Sheets :: Oatey.com

I might suggest contacting Oatey and getting the "submittal sheets" for the cements and primers actually used.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 01:37 PM
    I took a look at the handipak I got and I found something a little disturbing. While the outside of the container said something like for PVC/CPVC applications, the inside cans were:

1) A can of primer/cleaner for PVC/CPVC applications (Purple)
    2) A can of cement for PVC only applications (Clear)

Also, I noticed when thumbing through the various products there is a universal cement for PVC/CPVC and ABS and applications for potable water and Drain water and both. None seems to be able to be used when pressure testing installations.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Handipak turned into a great door stop if your are doing CPVC, especially if you are in Washington. As Growler has pointed out the primers allowed for CPVC ary from state to state. Oatey says purple works on CPVC but the code doesn't allow it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

CPVC primer and cement [ 2 Answers ]

I just had an inspection completed and was told that my CPVC joints for my water lines inside the house were not to code. I used Oakly primer (purple in color) and Oakly cement that was rated for CPVC and PVC. I was told that the purple primer was not rated for drinking water supply lines and the...

Cpvc cement [ 6 Answers ]

I recently plumbed my first house using cpvc supply and when I started on the drain lines I realized that I had used pvc cement instead of cpvc cement on all the supply lines. Will the cement I used hold up or am I going to have to take it all out and redo it.

Trap primer [ 1 Answers ]

What is a trap primer for

Wrong cement used to join CPVC water pipes. [ 4 Answers ]

A few months ago, in our new addition, I plumbed an upstairs 3/4 bath in CPVC. I used purple primer (designated for PVC and CPVC) and used clear, medium bodied cement designated for PVC to make the joints. I just realized my error. The walls are still open. My question is, do I have to...

View more questions Search