Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pelenz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Grounding a Panel and Meter Box
    I am installing 200 amp electrical service in a new residence using 2/0 SE cable. The main breakers are in the panel. Since it is a GE panel, I have added grounding bars which did not come installed in the panel. The neutrals will all go to the neutral bars and the grounds to the grounding bars. I will also need to use a bonding screw to bond the neutral bars to the panel.

Should the #4 ground wire for the panel be attached to the neutral or grounding bar?

Other than the obvious connection through the metal panel cabinet, should there also be a bonding jumper between the neutral bars and the grounding bars?

Should the #4 grounding wire also be bonded to the meter box (which does not have an existing ground wire lug or screw) on its way to my ground rods? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 03:35 AM
    Since the Main Breaker is in this panel, the Main Bonding Jumper, the screw through the neutral bar into the metal can, connects the equipment ground bar to the neutral.

Bring the #4 ground to the neutral bar, as you are "grounding" the "grounded" conductor. There should be a lug for #4 wire on the neutral bar.

If the Main Breaker was remote, not in this panel, this grounding would be done differently.

Jan 8, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Thanks for such a quick and concise response. Should the meter can be bonded to the ground wire before going to my grounding system? There is no obvious grounding lug or terminal in the meter can. (I guess the can would still be grounded through the SE neutral that enters the can fom the transformer.)

Thanks again.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Notice the meter is already grounded as the neutral lug is bolted directly to the metal can of the meter.

Jan 8, 2008, 06:10 PM
    You're right. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding issue at distribution panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I live in Miami Florida. I have a issue of concern as to the Proper grounding of my distribution panel. I have a detached garage about 70 feet from my home. I have a Square D 200 A Combination service entrance device on the outside garage wall. The garage has It's own...

Changing meter main to sub-panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a 200 amp dual meter main. Can the old 100 amp meter main be turned into a sub-panel?

Proper grounding for 400A service and adjoining panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 400A service panel on the outside wall of a garage. For the time being it will only be supplying power to a 125A panel located on the inside wall of that garage. The 125A panel will be mounted inside the wall directly behind the 400A service, and the two will be connected by...

Grounding/neutral meter box and panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm istalling a 100 amp service in the yard w/meter for the lake equip. The pole will have 3 conductors from the power transformer to the meter box (neutral an two hots). The ground wire from the ground rod connects at the meter box at the same lugs as the neutral? Yes? Or to the meter box...

How do I instal a grounding rod to an older main panel ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who want me to instal a grounding rod on his home because he said that he was showering and when his electric furnace kicked on it kicked his , almost out of the tub, now He was tols that his home needed a grounding rod instaled to ground the house. Existing panel didn't have a...

View more questions Search