Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KAP80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Carrier Thermostat went blank and heat no longer working
    Hi,

On Friday my Carrier Thermostat went blank... and the heat is no longer working. I am assuming this happened because the furnace is no longer given any direction on what to be doing. The thermostat does not take batteries, so that is not the problem. The fan was still running for the furnace. We refreshed the circuit breaker... that did nothing. I ignorantly have not changed my filter in quiet some time. Could this be the problem? I am wondering if air was not getting though the filter and as a safety precaution the unit shut down? That is why the fan keeps going? I was going to question around….and then go and buy a new Carrier thermostat and see if that fixes the problem? Any thoughts??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Many people buy a new thermostat and it doesn't fix the problem. Start at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

Likely it is the fuse. If you don't have any spares, pick some up when you buy filters. If the fuse and filters don't fix the problem, work through the sticky. Post back and let us know.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
    "The fuse" is likely the fuse designed to protect the thermostat circuit. It could be an automotive style fuse on the furnace control board. Also make sure no one accidentally turned the "Emergency Disconnect" switch off that's usually located by the heater.
    KAP80 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Thank you for the help! So I had a family friend come over last night to take a look at the furnace/thermostat. It came down to a dirty filter that had caused excessive stress on the furnace... which has a safety precaution to automatically shut down. All he really had to do was manually reset the furnace... and everything was up and running! I can't believe how ignorant I was... I now have it listed in my calender to change my furnace filter once a month! No messing around. I am fortunate It didn't do serious damage!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmable thermostat went blank [ 12 Answers ]

Our thermostat (which has been serving solely as a thermometer since the last time we used the heat in the spring) blanked out yesterday afternoon. I checked the inside temp. during the day, then last evening the face was completely blank. It is completely unresponsive to any button pushing. I...

Honeywell Blank Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell T8011R thermostat. It is blank. I have 120 vac coming in, the transformer has 28 vac coming out. The 5 amp fuse is fine and the control switch is on. On the circuit board with the 5 amp fuse, the brown wire from the transformer shows 28 vac, the double brown wire under it is...

Thermostat display is blank [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat and the display is blank. We had a bad storm and the power went out. I have checked the breaker and reset it. The blower will come on when I switch it to ON, but nothing else works. Can someone help?

Blank Thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I had the A/C unit running fine today... then all of a sudden my thermostat went blank... It was raining on and off today here in Plano, Texas... It is a Carrier A/C furnace unit, controlled by a Honeywell Thermostat... This thermostat gets its power from the unit itself... In the...

Heat Will No Longer Respond To Thermostat! [ 5 Answers ]

Well, we moved into this mobile home about 3 weeks ago. We have our a/c and oil heat connected to one thermostat. It was all working fine up until a few days ago. All of a sudden, the heat would not shut off at all. Eventually it got up to 90 degrees in here and I just opened the door to the...

View more questions Search