Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1964Mary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits
    I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?
    Unclem Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1964Mary
    I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?
    No they cannot take your disability benefits from you. Only the US Government can if you owe child support, taxes, student loans etc.
    I am on Social Security and Va disability and I have checked into it. I also own my home.
    I went to the registry of deeds and filed a homestead on my property which prevents someone from making me sell my home to pay creditors. As long as you are current with your mortgage company and your equity in your home is no more than a certain amount. Law varies for different states.The rest of my problems I am still researching. I cannot afford to file bankruptcy.
    ellie187 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 11:54 AM
    They can freez your checking account or any other account that you may have.There is one account you can open that the credit card company can't touch,It's called Electronic transfer.Go to Electronic Transfer Account (ETA) - Home Page Hope this helps you.
    Doc_Jim Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ellie187
    They can freez your checking account or any other account that you may have.There is one account you can open that the credit card company can't touch,It's called Electronic transfer.Go to Electronic Transfer Account (ETA) - Home Page Hope this helps you.

ETA, or Electric Transfer Account is basically an electronic check direct to a bank/Credit Union. It is not an account itself. The account is held in a bank or credit union, and thus able to be frozen and used to pay legal judgments.

It appears that you failed to appear at court when notified of a judgment filed against you. That was a mistake. The judgment was probably a default (no appearance on your behalf) judgment.

Legal representation on your behalf is best in this instance. The bank holding your funds for you is bound by law to obey the judgment. I would talk to the bank representative and advise them that the account contains SSDI payments and those payments are exempted by federal law. Also try to write to the court and tell them this information. I would recommend that you also indicate a payment schedule with which you can live so the court does not view you as trying to get out of just debts. You might also send a copy of that letter to each of the lenders who obtained a judgment against you and ask if you can work with them on this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1964Mary
    Hello Mary:

Your benefits cannot be garnished. Make sure the bank knows that the money being deposited into that account is SS.

You are judgment proof. That means that even though you have judgments, they can't be collected upon. Therefore, I wouldn't send 'em a nickel. SS is barely enough to eat.

No, they can't put a lien on your home or take your personal belongings.

excon
    linda lofton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Wher do I get a notice of exempt 42usc407 form? You're a great help thank you so very much.I live in the state of Georgia.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Hello linda:

I don't know if there's a form. Just talk to you bank. They'll tell you what you need to do.

excon
    linda lofton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 07:00 AM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by linda lofton
    wher do I get a notice of exempt 42usc407 form? your a great help thank you so very much.I live in the state of georgia.
    There is something called a notice of exempt42usc407 I just don't know if there is a form or you write a letter of notice of exempt
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Hello again, Linda:

Well, I looked, and I can't find anything that suggests there's a form. Most laws don't have forms that go along with them.

Write a letter and cite the law. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Believe me; they're not going to continue to take your money because you wrote a letter instead of filing the right FORM.

excon
    gregie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
    What percecnt of retroactive ssdi payment can be garnished by child support
    gregie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Percent garnished by child support
    Rafasgirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Mary:

Your benefits cannot be garnished. Make sure the bank knows that the money being deposited into that account is SS.

You are judgment proof.
    That means that even though you have judgments, they can't be collected upon. Therefore, I wouldn't send 'em a nickel. SS is barely enough to eat.

No, they can't put a lien on your home or take your personal belongings.

excon
    Wow, that's not fair. I just had a tenant dog me out and refusing to pay just because she's on disability. Is it possible to get a hearing with SSI, otherwise people on disability can do anything.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 08:50 PM

Hello R:

It's true. People who are judgment proof can pretty much have their way ----- IF the landlord isn't wary. Of course, a good application, a background check, and a decent sized deposit protects most landlords from them.

excon
    Rafasgirl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello R:

It's true. People who are judgment proof can pretty much have their way ----- IF the landlord isn't wary. Of course, a good application, a background check, and a decent sized deposit protects most landlords from them.

excon
    Well, I've been searching all night on the internet and found out her ex-husband listed my house as his address. It's all over the internet and he left a substantial amount of clothes and items there. Can I sue him for being on the lease illegally? I have his social security # and place of employment.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 06:24 AM

Hello R:

I don't think so. You don't have a contract with him and he didn't stiff you. His wife did.

BUT, if you live in a community property state, you can sue HIM for his Wife's debt.

excon
    kenleyb2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 09:01 AM
    I'm on social security disability and I can not pay my credit cards and I have 3 cars in my name,one is my husbands and 1 my daughter drives..
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 09:07 AM

Hello k:

Well, they'll take the cars. They'll seize any bank account either you or your husband has, assuming you live in a community property state, and they'll sue you for the credit cards.

It's true, they can't garnish your SSI, but they can get your husbands income, if he has any. Your daughter, is safe, however.

excon
    LONNIEHARRIS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Did i get approved?
    LONNIEHARRIS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 09:14 AM
    Did I get approved for disability?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Lonnie - please stop posting the same question. I answered on your other thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security benefits [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received a :p fully favoriable decision on SSDI not ssi. He has worked since he was 17 years old. Anyway he is disabled and ssa award his disability to him July 27, 2006 and it is know October 19, 2006 and he has not received nothing from them. He is suppose to receive 4 years of...

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I turn 63 next April, but expect to continue working until I am 65 in April of 2010 (I expect because of the laws I will have to actually work until the end of 2010. I am toying with the idea of filing for my social security benefits when I turn 63, and then just putting the money away. I have a...

View more questions Search