Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    p3nn Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Weed eater dies at full throttle
    Hi Guys
    My weed eater (2 stroke 50:1) starts up fine and runs OK until I put my finger on the trigger to bring it up to running speed to cut the grass. At this point it dies instantly. I'm 100% on the fuel/oil ratio and have checked the air filter which is clear. I'm looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot this. Could it be a fuel blockage, hardened diaphragm (did sit unused with petrol in it for a month or two), bad fuel (I mix before each use not much more than used each time)? Any ideas would be appreciated
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 12:15 AM
    I wouldn't trust a visual inspection of the air filter. See if it will behave without one.
    You can throw some of the air filters in the was to clean them.

Your using at least the mid grade of gasoline?

Always put Stabil in the fuel when the fuel has the possibility of sitting for a while. It's recommended to use the 2 cycle oil ( 1 container for 1 gal of gas). It's formulated differently.

Dec 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Always thought it was "keep it simple sweetheart" ;)

The fuel I use is a high octane unleaded. In all fairness I forgot to mention I'm using a different brand of two stroke oil this time so maybe I need to look into that as a possible source of the prob as well? Here in Aus we use the metric system. I've never seen/heard of stabil down here. Have also tried without the filter which is just a piece of foam sponge giving the same result
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Stabil

Gold Eagle - Stabil

I found these pages in the .au domain

Pure Polaris

PPC - Accessories

Tru-Blu Oil | Oil Stabilizer

Here is some premixed oils:

motor oils: alphaLUBRICATION

EDIT: Fixed links

Dec 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Thx, I'll look into that. Can the oil go off even when not mixed?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 04:57 PM
    What brand/model weedeater do you have? Most all use 40:1
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Could be the plug is fouling a little, or more likely, carb problems. Remove the carb and clean it thouroughly. Reassemble and adjust.

Jan 1, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    What brand/model weedeater do you have? Most all use 40:1
    The brand is ryobi and it has the sticker on it saying 50:1 so I know that's the ratio

Jan 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    could be the plug is fouling a little, or more likely, carb problems. remove the carb and clean it thouroughly. reassemble and adjust.
    Caught up with a friend of mine yesterday who listened to it when I ran it and then applied the throttle. He reckons a blockage telling me it's getting too much air and not enough fuel when I throttle up. So looks like I'll be going in and looking at your advice here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Using a weed eater [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get a nice edge using a weed eater around the edges of my St Augustine lawn?

Weedeater dies when I press throttle [ 8 Answers ]

My weedeater featherlite xt260 dies when I press the throttle. It starts OK but will not Increase in speed and just stalls out. It will start again right away but that is it.

Black smoke at Full Throttle [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears Garden Tractor w/ a Kohler 25 hp engine. Recently,we had the fuel solenoid replaced (this problem was correctly diagnosed by NEWAUKUDOM! Thanks!) and since we have it gotten back, the engine burns black smoke (rightside seated), especially under load. Checked the plugs, heavy oil...

Weed eater [ 1 Answers ]

How to wind a double line weed eater

View more questions Search