Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GoEddie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Snapper 28" Rider Hub Removal
    I have a 28" Snapper rider I am trying to repair the differential assembly. I have it apart, but can not remove the wheel hub on the shaft allowing removal of the gears. I need to replace the small chain sprocket, but can not remove the hub. Local dealers have been unable to help. It looks like it may have been assembled with "loctite" when at the factory. Any suggestions?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
    There is no lock tite there. It is simply frozen to the shaft. Try a penetrating lube, then if that doesn't work try a little heat. You could probably carry it to a snapper authorized service dealer and they have a hub puller they can use. We have failed with the puller and had to cut the hub off with a chisel and hammer. That can make for a long day though.
    I know you say local dealers haven't been of assistance, but have you found a Snapper dealer?
    GoEddie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Thanks MOWERMAN2468,

The local Snapper dealer had the special puller for this hub; ended up almost drilling a hole in the shaft before they gave up. Yes, heat has been used. I even ran the unit for a year without the locking bolt thinking it would jar loose. At this point removal would allow me to rebuild the rest of the shaft, but yesterday I found out if I could just remove one link in the differential chain I would be back in business. This unit has been a great cutter, it's a hobby of mine to restore it - just love the performance of this unit.

Thanks very much for the reply - Happy New Year
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 07:59 AM
    You may have to take a chisel and carefully cut the hub off. This is painstakingly and time consuming though. But sometimes it is all you can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snapper Rider Mower [ 1 Answers ]

My mower will not start. I changed the spark plug, but stll will not start.

Snapper SR120 rear axle removal [ 1 Answers ]

I need to disassemble the rear axle assembly to repair the right drive planetary. How do I get the rear axle drive apart?

1985 41" Snapper riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

Just tuned up the old snapper for the summer.Changed the oil and spark plug,new blades, new battery patched up a rust spot and replaced the starter. This thing has never run better until I ran over a large runner that we put on the deck, my bad. The mower stopped running as soon as it picked up the...

Snapper 8 horse rider [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs 8 horse snapper riding mower that started once after setting for approx. 2 months.I try to start it now and the starter turns over but it does not start.It has a magnetron engine and I have put in a new plug and fresh gas even put gas in the cab and in the spark hold and it just...

View more questions Search