Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darlene43 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Am I still eligible for a tax refund?
    I have not been able to work this past year, am I still eligible for a tax refund, and can I still claim my children, ages 17&18?:confused:
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
    You did not earn any income at all last year? Did someone else support you and your children? Were you collecting welfare? If the answer is yes to all of these questions, then No, you are not required to even file a tax return and No, you are not entitled to a refund. Refunds are for taxpayers who have overpaid income taxes. Sorry.
    nustart56 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene43
    i have not been able to work this past year, am i still eligible for a tax refund, and can i still claim my children, ages 17&18?:confused:
    AS far as I know you cah still get the Child Tax Credit even if you didn't have an income. You just have to file for it. But, call :
    Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
    Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
    Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 29, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I'm sorry, but if you did not work or have any income, you DO NOT qualify for a refund.
    But whomever did support you and your children may be able to claim you and the children if they support you over 50%

Per IRS Rules:
    If you have no tax. Credits, such as the child tax credit, the adoption credit, or the credit for child and dependent care expenses, are used to reduce tax. If your tax on Form 1040, line 46, or Form 1040A, line 28, is zero, do not figure the child tax credit because there is no tax to reduce.

Rule 7. You Must Have Earned Income
    This credit is called the “earned income” credit because, to qualify, you must work and have earned income. If you are married and file a joint return, you meet this rule if at least one spouse works and has earned income. If you are an employee, earned income includes all the taxable income you get from your employer. If you are self-employed or a statutory employee, you will figure your earned income on EIC Worksheet B in the instructions for Form 1

Please understand that the information provided on this forum is for general tax information only and is not intended to represent legal or tax representation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Mobea is right on, as usual!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I eligible for unemployment? [ 3 Answers ]

I worked at a full-time job for over a year. I did no freelance work at this time. I then got laid off. I filed for unemployment but have not collected--I would need to call in. Right after filing, I was offered some freelance work that I did at home over a period of about 2 weeks. I billed for...

Am I eligible for a Portugeuse Passport? [ 1 Answers ]

My both my maternal grandparents and my mother were born in the Cape Verde Islands (when they were still a territory of Portugal). I'm looking to relocate to the UK and a friend told me that I should be able to get a Portuguese passport; without forfeiting my US citizenship. I was born in the US...

View more questions Search