Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DestnySuks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
    How can I safely clean my dishwasher drain?
    For quite awhile now I have noticed a strong smell coming from my dishwasher, it happens at the beginning of the cycle. It is sort of like a rotten egg smell. I noticed that there is a little water in the very bottom of the dishwasher after I run it, I'm not sure how long the water has not been draining out completely, sorry. I took the bottom rack out today and took the nuts out of the filter at the bottom. I found the most disgusting stuff on the other side of the filter. It was like a black and green sponge. I scraped it off and cleaned the fliter, there was also another piece, a second filter maybe, in the dishwasher drain. I pulled that out and cleaned it off. Now I have a square hole where the dishwasher drains out that is full of water. I am assuming the drain has build-up in it and it needs a good cleaning. What would you suggest to clean it out? I just ran something called "Dishwasher Magic" through and empty cycle but it didn't do anything. What can I safely put in my dishwasher to clean out this build up? Do they make something like drano or liquid plumber which is safe for a dishwasher?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Do not use Draino or anything like it in your washer. That sump area should be periodically cleaned out because the screen is catching larger food particles. I'd try throwing in a couple of cups of bleach and run it on a long cycle.
    DestnySuks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
    I knew that I shouldn't use Draino, but I didn't know if there was something made specifically for cleaning out that area of the dishwasher and dissolving the build-up. I just tried a cycle of Vinegar, I'll give the bleach a try. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
    As long as you have the vinegar out you could try my recipe. Mix 1/2 cup of table salt with 1/2 cup baking soda and throw into the sump area then add a cup of bleach. Allow it to sit over night and then run a fresh cycle with no dishes.

Well thanks Darlene, you found a 4 year old question not addressed to you and decided to reopen time and give me a reddie. Your situation may differ from that of Destny. However my fix should work for folks, I have no clue who you ,ean "all the other ideas " did you go back and give all of them reddies too?
    mapleleaf1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 07:01 PM
    YOU SHOULDN'T MIX BLEACH WITH VINEGAR!! VERY BAD!! Bleach should only be diluted with cold water.

You are putting your life on the line!
    You're a first timer so let this be a warning. LOSE THE CAPS! We don't yell at each other in here. Tom
    juno1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Mapleleaf1970, don't be a douche. Wait you already are. CAPS IS YELLING? STOP CRYING. GOOD FOR VISION IMPAIRED.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2012, 06:48 AM
    OK guys! Time to put this 5 year old thread to bed. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite dishwasher - blinking clean light [ 24 Answers ]

The clean light on my dishwasher keeps blinking and the dishwasher won't work. How can I fix this?

Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher flashing "clean" light needs to be reset [ 110 Answers ]

We paid a Sears repairman to come out when we had a flashing "Clean" light on our dishwasher, A Kenmore Ultra Wash 665.1603 or 1703, and he gave us the diagnostic code (buttons to push on the operating panel) and we have used it again after that, but I cannot find the order of the buttons to push...

Smelly Kenmore Fridge - How do I access/clean the pan drain? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a bottom freezer Kenmore Fridge (model 59661862101) and a good quantity of milk slowly spilled inside the fridge without us noticing until it really started to smell. We've cleaned the inside of the fridge but the smell seems to be getting worse. I think that some milk may have gone in...

Dishwasher will not drain [ 2 Answers ]

Our dishwasher is filling, but is not draining. Pipes are clear and seems timer and solenoid are working. Is it the pump? Are they easy to replace? Thanks, M

View more questions Search