Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meljgr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Getting out of a land contract
    Me and my husband got a modular home on a land contract (without the land its in a park) we filed bankrupt a year and half ago but continued to make payments but now we have an offer to get a real house and we want out of the house we are in but they are saying we own it. But how do we when we have nothing saying that? Can they come after us for the money if we just leave and don't pay?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Do you have a copy of your contract? Was the creditor listed on your bankruptcy? Did you reaffirm the debt? Have you asked your lawyer these things?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 06:12 PM
    A land contract is normally for land, and a modular home does not have a deed, if it is ot on land being bought,

So you do not have a land contract or a contract for deed.

You have some sort of installment contract for title to the modular home.
    If this was listed in the bankrutpcy and not reaffirmed, you have a lot of other issues even with the legal standing of your bankrutpcy. So you need to talk to your bankruptcy attorney.

Next what does the contract say, you are bound by the terms of the contract, A normal contract for deed no you would not still owe, but then this can not be a contract for deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land Contract Terms [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - I have been reading over some posts here at the site and thought I would throw this one out for discussion. I am looking at purchasing a cottage (Michigan) on the river using a 18 month Land Contract. The sellers Realtor send me the LC to look over before I make an offer. I was a little...

Land contract [ 1 Answers ]

Both my sister and I hv mortgages on our homes... She also wanted my home and I was ready for a change due to a divorce and do not need such a big home any longer... we owe the same amount on each mortgage so we want to swap houses... She has bad credit and cannot get another loan so we want to...

Land contract [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Before I got married, I had a land contract on our house through my mom who has no lean on the house. It's a 30 year contract but it only has my name on it. We now have kids and want to have her name on the contract as well. My mother also agreed to give us a better interest rate. She had...

Getting out of a land purchase contract [ 1 Answers ]

We recently signed a contract to purchase a substantial amount of acreage for a specific purpose. We were not educated in this process, and trusted the sellers' and realtors' verbal word as well as tax record on the amount of acreage we would be purchasing. The contract was signed prior to the...

Land Contract renewal [ 2 Answers ]

We are the sellers of a piece of Real Estate in WI that we did on a land contract. The contract was for two years. The contract is up the end of June. Both the Buyer and ourselves have agreed to renew the landcontract for the same terms. Do we have to draw up and file a new land contract...

View more questions Search