Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thorne72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 12:53 AM
    Gator pitbull
    I am wanting any information on gator pitbulls. My niece wants one.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 07:30 AM
    "Gators" refers to the bloodline. Please see this link for information:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/w...nes-18316.html

The bloodlines have been completely watered down over the years, and it is not worth paying a great deal of money for one of them. Frankly, with all the pitbulls to be found in shelters and rescues across the U.S. if your niece is truly a dog lover, she should consider rescuing one of these puppies that would otherwise be euthanized. Please see this link: petfinders.com do a search on pitbulls. There are thousands that are looking for good caring homes.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
    I agree with Ruby. With the bloodline so far down the breeding line, you are not guaranteed a quality dog. Checking out the rescue site or your local shelter is a very good idea.
    areyna1205 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I recently bought a gator pit and the one significant difference in this pit and my other one is that my new gator pit has double fangs!! It is quite hard to believe but it is true. I can show pics if you don't believe. She is more of a sandy color than brown. Most gator pits have a sandy color tone to them (from what I have seen) The other difference is their behavior, she was one of the most aggressive pits I ever had. By that I don't mean she would attack people but I just mean that she was extra hyper. Always wanting to run and jump and always being real playful. One thing I know is that most pitbulls that attack are the product of people that don't treat their dogs fairly. They only reciprocate the behavior their owners have shown them. Out of all the pitbulls I have had, none of them have bitten me or any one of my children. Other than that, a gator pit basically means the same as buying a "blue" pit or "red-nose", its just a moniker people put on dogs based on their character traits.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
    My mil has a chihuai and she has double fangs... what does that mean? I just thought it meant she needed dental work. Teeth are straight just double fangs. She is 1 year old.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
    LOL bushg. Maybe your MIL's chihuahua isn't really a full chihuahua but is a direct descendant of the Gator line of pitbulls!

The double fangs is a recessive genetic trait. It is not anything that is consistent within any breed.

Areyna, your new pit's personality sounds just like my rescued red nose when I first adopted her.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Ruby when we first brought Cricket to her she was a fraid that she was a pit... she is red and white... I had to keep assuring that a pit puppy would be so much larger than her. I will see if my kids can load some of her pictures on here.. yeah it was so funny... because mil thinks that pits are meaner than the average dog... but I'm working on her.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 03:06 PM
    LOL bushg! I would love to see some pics.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 03:29 PM

This is miss Cricket before she had her name we were told she was about 3 months old here. She has on an old sock that we cout holes in to keep her warm... that pic was maybe a day afetr she was brought in off a country porch living with a cat. This is a flea market dog... sad, sad, sad. Her ears did not stand up until she was about 8 months old so now she is all ears.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
    LOL! I can't believe your MIL thought she was a pit! Love the pink toenails! LOL! Very cute.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Lol, I think she was going by her coloring and her nose... I still laugh thinking about... It is so awesome how much this dog is loved.
    No Reverse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Few if any true descendants of Gator exist. A lot of people name drop Gator,Boudroux,Ole Family,Capitino,etc. Also several thousand dogs are registered each year with "GATOR" being part of the name. The second fang is very common.Its simply a longer than usual eye tooth.My Basit Hounds all have them so do my pits and my Dogo Argintino. Dogs with the long eye tooth do seem to hang on tighter ,but it is not anything special.I recomind going to Sporting Dog Online's Picture page to see a picture of the real Gator. He is quite the homley fella. Gator was an effective Game Dog , but no where near what people claim.Get a true champion something with a "CH" in the name that didn't come from trhe show circuit. Try a "ch"ART, "ch"Jeep, or any thing with Honey Bunch as the matriarch. They are consistently better,more reliable than Gator Dogs
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jan 22, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Your double fangs may also be retained baby teeth that didn't come out when they should.
    If that's what they are, they usuually need to be surgically extracted because they crowd the other teeth and seem to collect all kinds of gunk.
    (BTW, I would rather meet a Pit Bull in a dark alley than a Chihuahua, LOL, although the sock and pink toenails make her less intimidating!)
    Bullys4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 11:15 AM
    I agree with all of you above. I have only rescued dogs from the humane society I am also on the pitbull rescue list and have a friend that works at the humane society. None the less You should definitely look around your local shelters before considering paying a chunk of change on a dog.
    gamedog2009 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Comment on areyna1205's post
    You have no idea what you are talking about!

Oct 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by areyna1205 View Post
    i recently bought a gator pit and the one significant difference in this pit and my other one is that my new gator pit has double fangs!!! It is quite hard to believe but it is true. I can show pics if you dont believe. She is more of a sandy color than brown. most gator pits have a sandy color tone to them (from what i have seen) The other difference is their behavior, she was one of the most aggressive pits i ever had. By that i dont mean she would attack people but i just mean that she was extra hyper. Always wanting to run and jump and always being real playful. One thing i know is that most pitbulls that attack are the product of people that dont treat their dogs fairly. They only reciprocate the behavior their owners have shown them. out of all the pitbulls i have had, none of them have bitten me or any one of my children. Other than that, a gator pit basically means the same as buying a "blue" pit or "red-nose", its just a moniker people put on dogs based on their character traits.
    You have no idea what you are talking about! First of all it is not gator it is ALLIGATOR, nothing like blue lol this is a bloodline and you can still find it real tight.

Oct 12, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull View Post
    "Gators" refers to the bloodline. Please see this link for information:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/w...nes-18316.html

The bloodlines have been completely watered down over the years, and it is not worth paying a great deal of money for one of them. Frankly, with all the pitbulls to be found in shelters and rescues across the U.S., if your niece is truly a dog lover, she should consider rescuing one of these puppies that would otherwise be euthanized. Please see this link: petfinders.com do a search on pitbulls. There are thousands that are looking for good caring homes.
    They have been watered down a lot but you can still find some very good breeders of this line. A guy in Alabama has some great ones!
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Oct 13, 2008, 08:21 PM

Bloodlines like that are just inbreeds. I don't recommend getting one. Finding a dog from a pitbull rescue is a much better idea.

Inbred dogs have tons of health problems, and are more prone to being aggressive.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 14, 2008, 10:56 AM

I have had a few laughs reading some of these threads... LMAOOOO!

I just hope when you do get your "gator" Pitt you'll be one of those conscienceous doggy parents that make sure the dog is well trained and a big sweetheart...

Ok, please?

Oct 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    I have had a few laughs reading some of these threads...LMAOOOO!

I just hope when you do get your "gator" Pitt you'll be one of those conscienceous doggy parents that make sure the dog is well trained and a big sweetheart...

Ok, please?
    I know it's not a "gator" pit it's the alligator bloodline that was produced by a guy name Gary Hammonds from Texas. I have been involed with these dogs for more than 28 years!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is pitbull aggressive or.. [ 37 Answers ]

I read many opinons and I think the owner is guilty for aggression of pitbull dog Is pitbull aggressive breed or people make it aggressive? What You think?

My pitbull won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed my 9 month pitbull has been really picky to the point where he won't eat for a day or so just nibble at his food for a little bit when he used to eat close to 2 bowls a day the only thing I have noticed is that is eyelids are Pinker and has more moisturer than normal? He is still...

Colby, honeybunch and gator lines [ 3 Answers ]

How do I tell if dog has good blood line. Informed that puppies top line is colby and bottom is honeybunch and gator. Have been doing lot of reading but confusing myself. Is this good or bad?

Pitbull and child [ 18 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old pittbull, who is very obedient and loves my two year old son. The problem is he's so hyper I'm afraid hell hurt him by accident by jumping around so much. What can I do to get him to calm down and not be so crazy?:)

Pitbull pooping problem [ 17 Answers ]

I have had my puppy for about 4months, when we got him he was 4 months. Every since we got him we have been trying to train him and it has been nothing but a problem. When we think he's got it we will come up and find poop in his cage. Is it to late to try and train him or is there something we can...

View more questions Search