Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    htruong43 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Blocked Vent Pipe Symptoms
    What are the symptoms of a blocked vent pipe from the roof? Is possible for the sewer gas to come through a trap (full of water) when the vent pipe is blocked?
    Thank you in advance for any help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Blocked vent usually cause gurgling in the drain. Speedball1, the plumber, recently explained to me that bubbles in the toilet indicate a blocked drain and not a vent. I learned from his explanation. A blocked vent could cause a P trap to be siphoned out. Sounds like you have an odor and are looking for the source. Sewer gas and rotting hair both stink, are you sure which one you have? Most common source of sewer gas is a failed wax ring under the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
    When your fixtures begain to talk back to you they do it in two ways. They "gurgle" atcha or they "bubble" atcha. The "gurgle" is caused by vacuum caused by a blocked vent and the fixture vents through a fixture trap. The "bubble" is caused by back pressure due to a partial blockage What happens is that when you flush or drain the discharge runs down the drain line and hits the partial blockage and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. A partial blockage will also cause a backup sending soap or crud into a fixture until it can drain away.

Dec 25, 2007, 11:52 PM
    Thank you for your reply. I assume the vent pipe is not blocked because I do not have any symptoms you described. The tenant complained about the odor in his office. I found the AAV under the sink broken. Replace it and the odor went away for about two weeks. I just replaced the toilet wax ring and the AAV again. Hopefully the smell goes away. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Jan 26, 2008, 03:33 PM
    The stinky smell went away after replacing the toilet wax ring.

Thanks all for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blocked Toilet Vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I two bathrooms upstairs recently the water levels in the bowls seem to be decreasing. When you flush the bowl fills up but over time it decreases to almost no water. One toilet was recently replaced. Also when one toilet is flushed the other bubbles, the sink and tub drain slowly. Could all...

Vent pipe turned into drain pipe and drain pipe into vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently began to remodel my laundry room. I wanted to move the washing machine 3 ft from its current spot. When I removed the sheet rock I found that the vent pipe is between the current washing machine drain and where I am moving my washing machine. I wanted to avoid breaking into the slab....

Blocked Vent Switch New Yorker [ 1 Answers ]

I just had a new boiler installed (New Yorker CG-6) and it works great with one exception. When the boiler first starts up and the automatic vent damper opens up, cold air comes racing down and out of the draft hood, after a few seconds, really hot air comes blasting out. After a few minutes, one...

Snow blocked vent [ 2 Answers ]

House was cold this morning. The fan was running, but no heat. Checked the vents at the side of the house and notice they were covered by drifting snow overnight. I cleared it away and went to work. My question... will the furnace come on... or will I have to call a tech to reset safety...

View more questions Search