Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElviraSonja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Probation transfer into another state
    My 19 year old son has 3 years of probation for a deferred sentence. He wants to go to a technical college in another state. He has been accepted already. Can his probation be transferred to the other state while he goes to school? We do not have any relatives there. We have heard that he would have to live with relatives. He would go to school in the mornings and try to find a job in the afternoons. Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Sure, probation can be transferred to another state. But, it is up to the probation office to which he already reports and the probation office where it would be transferred as to whether it would be accepted or not.

I don't know how far away the school is from where he lives now, but it might be that his probation might not need to be transferred, but the requirements for his probation only altered so that he could attend school and also work in the other state. This might be the case if the school is not all that far away and if he could still live where he is living now.

If a transfer of probation is being requested due to him wanting to go to school and also obtain employment, in my opinion, I would say the odds of the transfer being approved and accepted would be likely to happen.

Also, when probation is being transferred from one state to another, there is usually some kind of fee to be paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
    There is no one rule for anyone, eaach case will be reviewed by the probation officer. Also realise it can often take a few months to get a probation transfer approved, so be sure and start the process as soon as you are sure he will be going.

As for as the transfer, since it is to go to school, it has a better chance of being permitted.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Hello E:

On the top of the criminal law page on a "sticky note", you'll find a thing I wrote called transfer of probation. Take a look at it.

excon
    clinton mccoy Posts: 47, Reputation: 15

Dec 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Sure, probation can be transferred to another state. But, it is up to the probation office to which he already reports and the probation office where it would be transferred as to whether it would be accepted or not.

I don't know how far away the school is from where he lives now, but it might be that his probation might not need to be transferred, but the requirements for his probation only altered so that he could attend school and also work in the other state. This might be the case if the school is not all that far away and if he could still live where he is living now.

If a transfer of probation is being requested due to him wanting to go to school and also obtain employment, in my opinion, I would say the odds of the transfer being approved and accepted would be likely to happen.

Also, when probation is being transferred from one state to another, there is usually some kind of fee to be paid.
    You know your stuff!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 04:18 AM
    While I appreciate your compliment clinton mccoy, I do want to point out that the two gentlemen above, namely Fr_Chuck and excon, know much more about criminal law than I do. Please check out their profiles. You might also want to check out what excon has posted on the following link, as it is awesome concerning the transfer of probation! https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/criminal-law/how-transfer-probation-115783.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of Probation within the State [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been involved in a long process leading up to his trial, and through all this we have learned that the success rate in Johnson County, Kansas for individuals on probation is ridiculously low. Neither of us have enough money saved up to just up and move to another state, but...

Transfer of probation to another state [ 32 Answers ]

What is the procedure to transfer probation to another state

Probation transfer from state to state [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend had a case in the state of New Jersey in which he received probation. He also had a probation in NYC because of a previous case. Because he lives in New York he transferred his NJ probation to NY. Apparently this transfer never happened because he received a letter in July stating that...

Probation transfer to another state [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move to California. I am on probation so I would need to transfer from Texas to California. How do I do that and how long would it take?

How to transfer probation to another state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a drug charge that I am on the thing where if you go through probabtion successfully they take the charge off your record. I am clean and doing the right things going to school full time, working, I live in MI. my mother who is ill and needs help day by day has just moved to Florida...

View more questions Search