Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katalya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Hair Colour Blonde to Red, need to fix back to blonde
    Hi there,
    I am living in China, had my hair dyed red. (I am a natural red head but have been blonde for 10 years). The dye started to wash out, so I went back to the hairdresser and showed them and had it redone. All is fine except the colour is more of a pinky red rather than an auburn/copper red. It really isn't the right colour for my skin tone and makes me look washed out - you can see in my profile pic. So rather than looking like a sexy red head (think Bree Van Der Camp from desperate housewives), I look like a cheap whore (maybe whore is too harsh but you get what I mean)

So I would like to go back to blonde. It really does suit me. However, I am worried that if I go back to blonde that my hair might turn really pink and I could have a disaster on my hands if I don't get a professional to do it.

The problem is that I am living in China (where everyone has black hair and they don't know how to do another colour), and the only way I can get across to them what colour I want is to point to a colour chart. Even if I was to work out how to explain my concern, I don't think they would be able to get it back to its former natural looking glory.

So my question is, if I were to do it myself, would my hair turn pinker?
    Secondly, is it too risky to change it myself
    Thirdly, if I ask the hairdresser to do it, what colour should I get them to use so its not a disaster ?

I can provide a before shot too so you understand what colour I want to go back to.
    Your help is most appreciated.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 29, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Going from red to blonde requires a two-step process. You will need to lighten your hair and then apply a toner which will give you your desired color. This process is difficult to do by yourself. I recommend getting your hair professional done.
    kayyoss Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Oye... go buy a box of blonde hair dye with bleach in it.. or buy 40 bleach (its a type of hair bleach). Use that. Your hair will be blonde. If you see a slight tint of pinkish red... use the bleach again. Your hair will then turn out to be very white.. you will then need to buy a box of the blonde you want. And use that.. then TADA. Blonde hair again. Its simple. I'm 16 years old. And I have done this for many people. And myself. Except I went from black to blonde. Which is even harder.
    Katalya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Hey thanks for the all the advice. Result - I went to a really expensive hairdresser - Toni & Guy in Shanghai, who recommended that as my hair had already been damaged so much that he warned against dying it again for a while. He advised against dying my hair back to blonde as there was a possibility it this could lead to my hair starting to fall out. So instead, he still used a dye, but a much gentler one without bleach and he corrected the red colour. So hence my hair is still red, but he matched it more closely too my roots - as I am a natural red anyway. He really improved the way I looked.

After a few months, my hair has gotten thinner. I have been using treatements regularly to try to nurse it back to health. My hair was still feeling badly damaged. I found another good english speaking hair dresser in Shanghai who didn't charge a fortune. And I got the CHOP. So now all the dead bits are gone. I still won't be dying it for a while. I have wanted to go back to my natural colour anyway - as I haven't seen it in over a decade.

Once again, thanks. Hope others can learn from my mistake.
    industrialgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katalya
    I found another good english speaking hair dresser in Shanghai who didn't charge a fortune.
    Where are you going to get your hair done at now? I just moved to Shanghai, and I need to get my hair bleached. I don't speak any Chinese, and am afraid to go to a place that doesn't understand english. I was thinking about hitting up Tony and Guy, but they are a bit too expensive for my tastes.
    Von Sternberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Www.franktaylor.cn
    Shanghai based.
    Top London Hair stylist now living in china.
    Maybe you can book him in between one of his prestigious shows?
    leighbaker1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2010, 08:33 AM
    How do I get my hair from blonde to red?? I dye my hair blonde using live but now want to go red??
    Thao23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 07:20 PM
    Is there any way you can get to central if so go to a stylist by the name of Trang... the salon called Glow. She works wonders!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyed hair brown, natural is sandy blonde, want it back. HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey to anyone interested in helping me, I'm a natural sandy blonde, and I wanted a change so I dyed my hair brown from a box. It turned out very natural and I don't mind the color but I'd like a change. I want to go back to my original color and then dye it lighter, like with very blonde...

Dark blonde hair w/ blonde highlights. Need out [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... so I have dark blonde to light brown hair... I decided to put blonde highlights in... but yeah... they's a little too light of blonde. Is there a VERY quick way that I can tone down the blonde to blend a little better w/ my hair color? 1. my dad doesn't know yet.. and yea... he not going...

Trying to get a dirty blonde, but ended up with orange/red hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I naturally have medium brown hair with reddish high lights to it... I thought I'd cheap out and get an at-home dye kit, which normally is fine, because typically I go darker with my hair. I thought I'd do a dirty blonde, or light ash brown, but instead of blondish brown, it's orange... what can I...

I Want My Dark Blonde Hair Back Please! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay,so I Tried Putting More Bleach Blonde Highlights In My Hair-Febuary2006 After Paying $200 At The Salon To Have Them Put In-January2006 I Turned My Pretty Highlights Orange.I Covered Them Up With A Dark Brown And Have Been Covering Them Up For The Past Year.I Buy The Darkest Brown Hair Dye From...

View more questions Search