Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike1771 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Maytag Dryer MDE5500AYW, 8.8. error code
    My Maytag Neptune Dryer, Model MDE5500AYW, Serial 36492683ZF, has "8.8." on the display panel and will not respond to any control input. The power went out and when it came back on the panel was showing "8.8." and the code will not clear. I have reset the circuit breaker, and unplugged the dryer several times but panel still shows "8.8." and nothing will operate. If the door is opened the light will come on, but nothing else works. This happened the last time our power went out, but the dryer just "fixed itself" after a few hours. This time it has been over 10 hours and it is still stuck on "8.8.". Any ideas on how to reset the circuit board and clear the "8.8." code. Or why every time the dryer loses power it freezes with this "8.8." code on the display?
    Thank you for any help with this.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Is the dryer inside the home or in an unheated garage?

Dec 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Inside my home.

But. The dryer came back on. I unplugged it for about 3 hours, then plugged it back in. It was still locked with 8.8. on the display. I kept checking on it and pushing buttons every hour but it would not work. When I checked it again after 7 or 8 hours, the display was blank. I pushed the start button, everything lit up and started drying the clothes. It is still working. It's great that it's working but every time the power blinks off, I can't dry clothes for 12 hours or more. I don't know what the problem is. And, I don't know what the solution was. It's working now though. Go figure...

Thank you for responding. If there is anything you want me to check out, I will be happy to do so and report back.

Dec 17, 2007, 09:20 PM
    FYI.
    Since the dryer is running again, I ran the full set of system scans. I took the top control panel off and inside was a service document "Schematic Mini-manual LED Dryer 1214.doc". It lists numerous key sequences for running system checks. I ran them all and there were no fault codes, and all systems ckecked out OK. There is no evidence of a problem. I guess I will just wait for it to happen again.
    bfcnow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Look at this link... it worked for me!! :) Basically,
    1) Use a heating pad and warm the display.
    2) Open the dryer door as well to let the warm air in.

It took about 15 min for me and saved me a over $100 in repair costs.

Maytag Neptune Dryer Lights up 8.8. Wont work - Appliances (Small and Major) - Discussion Areas - TheFixItForum.com - Message Board - Yuku
    JOEJUMANJI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1771 View Post
    My Maytag Neptune Dryer, Model MDE5500AYW, Serial 36492683ZF, has "8.8." on the display panel and will not respond to any control input. The power went out and when it came back on the panel was showing "8.8." and the code will not clear. I have reset the circuit breaker, and unplugged the dryer several times but panel still shows "8.8." and nothing will operate. If the door is opened the light will come on, but nothing else works. This happened the last time our power went out, but the dryer just "fixed itself" after a few hours. This time it has been over 10 hours and it is still stuck on "8.8.". Any ideas on how to reset the circuit board and clear the "8.8." code. Or why every time the dryer loses power it freezes with this "8.8." code on the display?
    Thank you for any help with this.
    We had the same problem and every time I would call the repair guy the dryer would start working. Then on 12-3-09 it stopped working again and was displaying the 8.8. code. So we unplugged it like always and plugged it back in to reset it and it still displayed the 8.8. code. I called the repair guy and he came out on the 12-7-09 to take a look at it.

Turns out to be: Control Board Failure
    Cost us: $350

He replaced the Main Control Board and we haven't had any problems with it so far. Fixing it was still cheaper than going out and buying a new one.
    shahnmarcue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 11:27 AM
    I to have this problem. If I keep hitting different settings rather than start, then hit start it works every time. My dryer is 12 years old.
    chewy5085 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Maytag dishwasher flashing lights the clean button and the normal button and the heavy duty moel number mdb9150aww
    Tacoma75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 01:12 PM
    How do you lower washing times on a MAH5500BWQ washing machine?
    TNDave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Thanks to bfcnow! Usually takes the dryer several hours to reset itself after getting an 8.8 code. Seems like it usually happens when the weather turns colder. So we put a small space heater on top of the dryer facing the control panel and opened the dryer door. Your idea worked within 15 minutes!

dmesticengineer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Holy heating pad batman!!
    Got the 8.8. code - never would I think it was the climate temperature -but that was it for sure -
    After googling troubleshooting - I found this post - I put the heating pad on the control pad after unplugging replugging - cutting the power blah blah repeat - so not sure if it was the heating pad or the garage just warmed up a bit but we are now back in action!!
    Thank you so much!
    Saved me at least $300 - now I will get a little space heater for chilly weather!!
    Got to love Google
    Thanks again!
    Radio Bobby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2014, 08:51 PM
    I'm in SoCal with the dryer in an upstairs closet, so I didn't think this fix would apply to me. I came back from a road trip and the inside temp was 85 degrees. I turned on the AC and my wife tried to dry a load of laundry a few days later and got the dreaded 8.8. code. I initially thought we were drawing too many amps with the washer, dryer & central AC going at the same time & told her to hold off.

I tried it again later & the same code came up. I checked the outlet & breaker & everything looked fine. Thank you Google! I honestly don't know how we lived before the internet! (probably by paying some schmuck $100 for a house call to put a heating pad on the control panel).

This fix worked even in temps over 70 degrees (our AC is set at 78).

THANK YOU!!
    Brenny125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2014, 02:10 PM
    Thank you all for the advice. Yup, the heating pad trick worked. At Christmas time, we did NOT wish to spend money on repairs. You all were Santa's elves here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Error code E1 Whirlpool Senseon Dryer [ 3 Answers ]

My dryer keeps shutting off and I get an error code where the time remaining usually is that flashes E1. The only thing the manual says is to contact a repairman. I called someone a friend recommended and he cleaned it out but really didn't know anything else to do? Any help would be appreciated

P0340 Error code [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible with a 2.7 liter engine. The check engine light keeps coming on. A friend who manages a lube shop checked the code and what came up is P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A-Bank 1 Circuit Manfunction. The check engine light had gone off for a few...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Error code E1? [ 0 Answers ]

The error code I am getting is E1. This code isn't in the manual and I cannot figure out why my dryer quits at will (usually before the clothes are dry). Does anyone have any advice for me?:eek:

Po445 error code [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this code? Just had the PCM replaced and then got this error. Thanks

View more questions Search