Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANTHONY8610 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Garnish without knowledge
    Do payroll have the right to deduct money from your paycheck with out your knowledge?
    ANTHONY8610 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY8610
    Do payroll have the right to deduct money from your paycheck with out your knowlege?
    Can an employer deduct from your wages without consent
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Yes, if there is a judgement issued by the court the employer has to deduct the money according to the court order. Your consent is not needed once there is a garnishment order from the court.

Most states do not have any requirement of notification before the deduction is made, I know Tennessee has a notification law, but if they don't tell you there is no penalty so if it does not happen there is nothing you can do about it.

You should have been notified prior to a judgement, you were sued by someone you owed money to, they would have sent you a lot of bills, and you would have been told they were suing you. Once they have the judgemnt, they can get a garnishment anytime they want, if your state allows a garnishment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnish ss$ [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection company garnish money I deposit into my account from social security?

I don't have knowledge about aliens [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Would you mind helping me in this writing assignment about aliens.. BRIEFLY DESCRIBE THE ALIENS. Thank you..

Trying to garnish [ 1 Answers ]

I was hoping to get some info on garnishing a bank account. I have a small claims judgement on a business and my writ of garnishment came back from the bank with the box - no funds - checked. Does this mean I have to file a new garnishment or will the garnishment stay in effect? Wondering if this...

Garnish [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My brother's collection agency is threantening me that it will garnish againt my tax return for his unpaid stafford loan. (We happened to have the same last and first names.) Is it legally possible in California? If not possible, how can I prevent its constant threatening once and for all?

Garnish [ 2 Answers ]

Can Credit Card Companys Garnis Your Pay In Texas If You Can't Pay?

View more questions Search