Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MCantu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Salary Labor Laws
    Im a maintenance manager Salary employee, I have been with my company 4 1/2 years. Ever since I worked for this company I have been on emergency stand by call 24 hours a day 365 days a week. Even when I am on vacation I answer emergency phone calls.
    My company cell phone has become a part of my body, I sleep with it at my bed side and even take it into the bathroom when I take my showers as I am requested to answer it at any giving time day or night 24 per day 365 days a year. Does this mean I have been on the clock consistently for the past 4 1/2 years?
    What are the limitations of a Salary employee, and is it against the law for one to be on call 24 a day 365 days a year even while on vacation.

My other concern is that being a Salary employee I am not required to punch a time clock. However recently I was assigned to a new supervisor who on top of my Salary status he is also requiring me to write down and keep track of my work hours, is this right?

Can anyone give me some direction or advice?

Sincerely Tired and Burnt out..
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MCantu
    Does this mean I have been on the clock consistently for the past 4 1/2 years? What are the limitations of a Salary employee, and is it against the law for one to be on call 24 a day 365 days a year even while on vacation.
    Hello burned out:

See, here's the deal. While you're on salary, there IS NO clock, so you couldn't have been on one.

I don't believe there are ANY limitations regarding the hours of a salaried employee. So no, it isn't illegal to require a salaried employee to be on call ALL the time - even when on vacation.

Certainly, IF you had been called to work an exorbitant amount of times so as to have effectively reduced your wages, then you would have quit long before now.

Yes, your new supervisor can ask you to keep track of your hours. However, since hours have no bearing on your salary, I'd certainly ask him why he wants to know.

If you're getting the sense that they're going to can you, you're probably right.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Many salaried employees are required to keep track of hours for attendance purposes so there is nothing wrong in that. If the nature of your job is being on call then that's the job. If you don't like it find another job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
    There is a catch ( or at least there used to be) I had a law suit against Ship and Shore many years ago over the fact that they made us track our hours ( clock in and out) even though we were salary, they ended up paying overtime because they did that. Cost them 100's of thousands of dollars from what I understand over the years of doing it on many management people. Not sure of current laws but this was in Georgia some time ago, woth talking to a labor attorney about.

But as for as salary, yes I was required to have a fax at home, cell phone all the time, the amount of your salary is suppose to be enough to make up for all of this. If not, then you need to negotiate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary Laws [ 7 Answers ]

Can an employee who is on a salary payroll be moved to an hourly wage without prior notice? My mother was diagnosed with cancer and she has been out of work for about a week or so. She was told this week that she was moved to an hourly wage and that if she doesn't make the required amount of...

Salary laws [ 2 Answers ]

In order to be on a paid salary, is it true that you need a high school diploma?

Work labor laws [ 31 Answers ]

Hello. My question is... in a manufacturing company, what is the law according to breaks? We work 8-12 hour shifts. Some employees work 8, others 10 and about 70 work 12 hours. There are no set breaks. Now we are starting a no smoking in the building policy and no one is to take a smoke break...

Salary Laws [ 4 Answers ]

If a person is salary, they only work 1 or two days is it the law that we have to pay them a full 40 hours?

View more questions Search