Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joye_Hodges Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 09:23 PM
    How to Get Access to my Genealogical Records
    When Family Treemaker was fairly new, I bought one, installed it and proceeded to post my family info on its site. I continued to add to it as I learned new information. Now, it has
    Become a part of ancestry.com. I was a member of ancestry.com for about 3 years in a row and they just got too expensive for me to continue buying membership. Now, I cannot access my Family Tree information which I consider to be mine. How does one go about getting into our own information without having to pay for a subscription to ancestry.com, or is there a way to get in for free? Thanks. Joye Hodges
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Dec 4, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Besides hacking your way in, no.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joye_Hodges
    When Family Treemaker was fairly new, I bought one, installed it and proceeded to post my family info on its site. I continued to add to it as I learned new information. Now, it has
    become a part of ancestry.com. I was a member of ancestry.com for about 3 years in a row and they just got too expensive for me to continue buying membership. Now, I cannot access my Family Tree information which I consider to be mine. How does one go about getting into our own information without having to pay for a subscription to ancestry.com, or is there a way to get in for free? Thanks. Joye Hodges
    Did you save somewhere any of the research before you sent it to them?
    You should have copies of what was sent to them somewhere... like in confirmation email's or something. Is any of that saved?
    If you contact them, ask for a complimentary entry/free tour? After all, you may mention that you have contributed. Remember, though, they are a commercial site and don't do much for free (It's easy to say, "No") but I'd say it's worth a try.
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Dec 9, 2007, 09:33 PM
    What are you talking about Captainrich, this world is filled with hackers. Anyone who creates software and applications or can fix internal problems on a system is technically a hacker. Most of the people who made the computer enjoyable are hackers. The person who invented linux, the system which most internet servers run on, is a hacker. Bill Gates is a hacker, as well as many computer moguls. Of course there are bad hackers who I hate personally but not all hackers are bad.
    nklorey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I've posted my family tree on Ancestry, and it also appears on Rootsweb.com. Member uploaded stuff should appear on both sites. The Rootsweb family trees are accessible at WorldConnect Project -- Connecting the World One GEDCOM at Time. However, I uploaded gedcoms, and did not alter the information on line, so I'm not absolutely positive Rootsweb works the same why for trees created on-line, only 95% sure.

If you can't get it from Rootsweb, I still have an Ancestry membership. Perhaps you could reply with the name of a fairly unique ancestor. I'd be happy to see if I could download your gedcom and e-mail it to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access to parole records [ 3 Answers ]

Who has access to parole records? What exactly is in the records? And how do I get them?

My bankruptcy records [ 1 Answers ]

I need the web site to see what is going on with the payments I'm sending bankruptcy. I have my court file #

Is it possible for me to get the records [ 3 Answers ]

Two years ago someone called 911 because of the door being ajar. The question is do police keep this records and if so can you tell me how to get it. Or can the lawyer get the report?

What government agencies has access to expunged criminal records? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Folks, I'm hoping that someone here can help me with some info that I can't seem to find elsewhere. I have been arrested three times in Illinois. I can have all three cases expunged, which I will, but one of the cases still worry me. I was arrested for solicitation of prostitution a few years...

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

View more questions Search