Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blaczko Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Unknown bathtub faucet valve stem - what is it? Where can I find one like it?
    I was working on my girlfriend's bathroom faucets this weekend. I took apart the bathtub faucets. I had never seen this style before, but, not being a professional, I thought that was just me. I live in Paducah, KY. I took it to the Lowe's and Home Depot with no luck. I then took it to the two large hardware stores in town with no luck. I put it back together for her for the remainder of the weekend. I took it apart again Monday afternoon and took it to the two professional supply houses in town. No luck yet again. A professional sitting at one of the counters mentioned that I should send it to you and surely someone would know what brand it is and where I can find replacement stems for it.

Anyone?

Signed,
    DesperateName:  unkown valve stem 2.jpg
Views: 8402
Size:  69.1 KB
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Glad that guy thought of us but by now we would have replaced the mixer rather than run around. Try sending a private message to Speedball1 or Iamgrowler, they certainly know more than I do.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 10:55 PM
    MARLIN MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC : Home
    Kissler & Co., Inc. : For all of your plumbing repair parts needs
    Kissler & Co., Inc. - Repairs
    I searched at great length and could not find that stem. It is likely that it is a 'knockoff', or clone type faucet. Basically a no name. You can search my resources and see for yourself.
    Probably you don't need a new stem but new rubber parts under it.

Dec 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Doug,
    Thanks for your search and your response. One of the stem assemblies is actually cracked and one of the o-rings was stuck in the crack - so to speak. The other one operates fine but its stops have been knocked off so it spins in any direction with the water coming on and going off as you do.

Looks like it's time to break down and start taking the shower liner down and replace these inexpensive knockoff faucets.

Thanks for your help - and your sage disclaimer.

Brian
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
    You may not have to remove the shower liner. There is a 'remodel plate' available for those that want to save the wall but change the faucet.

Dec 13, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Doug,
    Thanks so much for your help! I have not seen a 'remodel plate' as of yet but, then again, I have not been looking for such item. That will certainly speed the process - as long as I don't end up cutting lines in the process!

Now I only have to sell her on this answer!!

You are a great help to those amateurs of us foolish enough, or enough in love, to attempt what you do for a living. Thank you.

Brian
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Glad to help. We help many that choose to do it themselves. They later determine if they ever want to do that again. Many do, most don't. Either way we get satisfied people and future service work because even though they fix some stuff, they refuse to do most of it and then call us saying 'just come do it'. It all pays, some now, some later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I install a hot and cold valve stem for a bathtub? [ 8 Answers ]

I need to know if anyone can send me the steps for installing hot and cold valve stems for a bathtub and if you can send a diagram of a normal bathtub bathtub and what each part is so I can help my brother-in-law and sister get their bathtub fixed. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks.

Stuck valve stem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the valve stem in the shower (hot water) and I can't get the stem to come out. The piece that has the flat sides (only 2) I believe is supposed to unscrew and it won't budge. I would like to avoid breaking it but it won't budge. What can I try?

Bathtub faucet, valve, drain alignments [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Yesterday I had a plumber install a new bathtub and rough in the plumbing. The problem is that the drain does not align with the faucet, valve or shower head. Could they just notch out the 2x4 and move the valve further to the right to align the fixtures? I paid them $1300 and it just does...

Stem problems in bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if a novice could get some advice. I have an old home and with it an old plumbing system. I have faucet knobs for my shower and 2 for my tub water. The hotwater knob for my Shower started to spray water from the stem. I took it apart and exposed the Cartridge and after that it...

View more questions Search