Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danettestenerson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Can my husband adopt our kids w/out biological father's consent?
    Hello. I'm wondering if it's possible that a judge/court would terminate parental rights without the father's consent, so that my husband could adopt my two children. The biological father has not seen them in 3 1/2 years by his own choice (his family does come visit, we're only 3 hrs. away), but child support is automatically withdrawn from his checks.
    I asked him five years ago if he'd let my husband adopt my kids and he said absolutely not. He's never had a relationship with them more than seeing them once a year the first couple of years (they are 8 & 11). So, is it possible for my husband to adopt them without his permission? I truly feel that it would be best for my husband to adopt them; he's been "Daddy" since they were very young. My biggest motivation for doing so would be because I worry what would happen if I were to die (I'm not sick or anything, but my dad died when I was 15 unexpectedly, so this is always on my radar). Oh, I live in the state of Washington, if that helps. Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 10, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Where I live you need the fathers consent if you are able to find him, and you need to prove that you tried to find him. I really doubt he can adopt them without his consent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Termination of parental rights is a serious business. It is rarely granted involuntarily. When it is its because the father presents a danger to the child.

If the bio father refuses I doubt if any court will override him. You could try explain that the adoption will end the child support. But if he refuses you are stuck.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 07:10 AM
    As everyone has said, you will need to bio fathers consent for your husband to adopt.

Since he is paying child support, regardless of how he pays (he's still paying), in the courts eyes he has not technically abandoned the children because he is paying support.

As Scott said, you could try and use the child support as leverage though, sadly that sometimes works because they want to get out of paying child support.

You could take it to court anyway, but it will be a waste of money, because if the father does not want to give up rights, the judge isn't going to take them away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? [ 8 Answers ]

How can I have my daughter's biological father's rights revoked? He has nothing to do with her. He has seen her maybe 3 times in the last 6 months, and he is expected to go back to jail. He does and sells drugs. I am simply terrified for him to be around her.

How do I terminate my daughters biological father's rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is four years old. Her biological father has not seen her, supported her in any kind of way since Feb. 2006. I have been married for two years and 4 months. My husband is in the military and we are currently stationed in Georgia. We were in Texas before. My daughters biological father...

Can my husband adopt my daughter since the biological father is deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 years old and her biological father just died July 30th. My husband has been in her life for 7 years and I would like him to officially adopt her now. Also, I get social security for her every month so will that stop if my husband adopts?

My husband would like to adopt my 2 kids. How can we do this? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 kids and their step father would like to adopt them and we don't know how to go about this. My kids real father is still alive, but is not in their life at all. He don't call them, see them, or even buy things for them. Now, my new husband would like to adopt them and we are not sure where...

Can my husband adopt can't find biological father [ 1 Answers ]

Can my husband adopt my child if the biological father is nowhere to be found?

View more questions Search