Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetp924 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm
    Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above the garage to keep the living room warm in the winter.
    HELP!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
    An insulated door only? Not the floor space under the living room?
    sweetp924 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
    The floor space under the living room is also insulated!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 10:46 PM
    I have a smiler situation here with a drive through garage(insulated doors at both ends) and living space above,the garage is totally insulated(solid insulation at R-7 per inch,5 inches thick=R-35)and ceiling also.

I not only ran extra venting for the furnace to this living area, I also vent the dryer to the garage, this allows some heat to be retained in the lower area,rising to help the upper floors.

Can you heat the garage?Maybe a little heat out there will help.

KBC
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 10, 2007, 05:29 AM
    I doubt you have r 30 in the floors in the living room, having that would help a lot, but aside from removing sheetrock to fix it or even tell what thickness you have it would be easier to buy a small heater for that one room. You could also use a heated floor mat under the carpet or whatever you have up stairs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living room painting [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I live in a mobil home so I don't know if the walls are different than a regular home they are not shiny the people before painted them beige and white sponging any way I want to paint them green my problem is I picked a nice soft slightly olive green color and I tried it on the walls...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Leaking living room [ 2 Answers ]

Every time there is a heavy rain water comes up through the floor against one wall. I also have a problem with standing water on half of my yard. Are these connected or 2 different problems. Yes, I have a french drain

Hot room above garage [ 2 Answers ]

My master bedroom is above our garage which gets very hot and has no insulation or ventilation. During the summer, the master bedroom is much warmer than the rest of the house. Looking for a solution. Should I have another duct installed or will venting the hot air out of garage via fan provide...

Sewer smell in living room [ 7 Answers ]

New to the forum and I am impressed with the content. I have looked everywhere on Google and this and other forums, for an answer to my problem. I have a 5 year old bungalow on a septic system that has an absorbent well instead of a weeping field. We have been experiencing a sewer smell in our...

View more questions Search