Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonic123 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Will arrest show on criminal background check?
    I got arrested and released from booking by judge due to no probable cause. The judge even didn't consider it. Will the arrest show on any kind of criminal backgrounds check or fingerprint check?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Almost all background checks only show convictions.

Dec 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
    I wasn't charged with anything. I ran a criminal record check, nothing showed up, only convictions will show. But how about a full fingerprint check? And if it didn't show up on any records, will you say I never get arrested to anybody?

Dec 7, 2007, 08:31 PM
    What is a full fingerprint check? Such a check is rare and usually performed only by law enforcement in the course of an investigation.

Dec 7, 2007, 09:19 PM
    So you are telling me, once you get booked, electronically fingerprinted and photographed, all these info. Is not going to public safety or FBI for records. And when you ran your fingerprint check from any criminal agency, is the arrest will show?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Only convictions show. If you were not convicted you have no worries.

Dec 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
    A background check will only show convictions. If you were to be arrested the police can see your prior arrest record.
    TzAngels Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Sonic,

I live in Illinois and in 1993 I was arrested for Armed Robbery (I was convicted of Obstructing Justice) and I was VERY surprised when I applied for a job at a gas station a friend managed. She showed me a copy of my arrest record and it had Armed Robbery on it. So maybe it depends on where you live.

Good luck

Tz
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 06:27 AM
    OK, first a finger print check is only a check of your identity, they may use that identity to then do a criminal background check, but fingerprint check is not a background check, it is merely an identity check.

There are dozens of private background check companies, and billions of online records. So private background search companies will find a lot more at times than the government 'police' background check

On the police record that is released to the public for hiring, only convictions will show up. Anything else is to be taken out before it is given. So on the person in Illinois, if your record is showing armed robbery, you need to challenge that, since you were not convicted of that. If that was your official police background, if this was from a private background company they can often find court records that are not given out by police.

Now for national security background checks, or police checks for going to work for the police or prison, then all arrests will show up. But that is a different level of check than a normal work background check
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Hello sonic:

There is no such thing as a "background check", just like there's no such thing as a "shirt". There's GOOD shirts, and there's BAD shirts. There's shirts you can buy for $8, and there's shirts you can buy for $250.

Background checks are the same way. SOME will miss everything. SOME will tell them the color of your favorite underwear.

excon

Dec 8, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TzAngels
    Sonic,

I live in Illinois and in 1993 I was arrested for Armed Robbery (I was convicted of Obstructing Justice) and I was VERY surprised when I applied for a job at a gas station a friend managed. She showed me a copy of my arrest record and it had Armed Robbery on it. So maybe it depends on where you live.

Good luck

Tz
    No it depends on what the person requesting the check paid for. I would go to your friend and ask what was done to get that information because a simple employment background check should NOT have listed that. Though its possible it listed it only because there was a conviction as a result of the arrest. But if there was no conviction, then no arrest record should show.

Dec 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
    So the arrest record will show to any law enforcement agency across america, is that right? Or only in the city or state where you live. And if you expunce this arrest record, will it still shows to the police or any law enforcement agency or any federal government? Will it show to federal jobs?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Most arrests if entered into the GCIC national data base shows up to any police agency that operates and runs that system. Even if you get a record explunged it is only removed from the pubic record, it will still show up to police and national security background checks. It would show the organial arrest, the sentence and then show explunged
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Hello again, sonic:

When they took your fingerprints, one set was for the FBI. It goes into the NCIC data base in Washington, DC. It's the National Criminal Information Something-or-other. That record IS and ALWAYS WILL BE available to cops EVERYWHERE.

When and if your record is expunged, it only disappears from PUBLIC view. And, I highly doubt that even happens anymore.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    most arrests if entered into the GCIC national data base
    Actually the national database is NCIC. Chuck you must be thinking of the Georgia Crime Information Act.

National Crime Information Center (NCIC) - FBI Information Systems
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 11:11 AM
    No. You were never convicted of anything so nothing will show.
    Angelflower Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Yes a felony arrest, even protection orders that others try to get against you will show up. This happened to me just a few weeks ago when I lost my dream job for a high paying position due in part to my "civil background" check. Last year I was arrested on probable cause but was not official charged with any crime because I had not committed any crime so therefore there was no evidence. The arrest showed up on a background check. On the report were even protection orders that someone tried to get against me even though the case was dismissed. I have never been prosecuted, convicted or acquitted for any type of crime and still lot my dream job due to these showing up on my background check. In my research I learned that I can not have these non-convicted items removed from my record for three years after the arrest and only if official charges have not been filed by then and I have not committed any crimes. It's just not fair!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background/Criminal Check [ 6 Answers ]

I posted a few months ago about a man my mother has started dating. The whole situation with him is so suspicious that I'm worried. He recently got arrested for something that he supposedly went to jail for in Florida a few months ago. Since he wouldn't be arrested for the same thing twice, I...

Does an arrest (only)- if in the state of are.I.-show up on a national background check [ 2 Answers ]

If someone was arrested in the state of Rhode Island but never charged with a crime, will this show up in a national background check used by employment agencies for hiring??

Can a misdemeanor from the past effect me now due to a criminal background check? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a misdemeanor for possession of marijauna. I had to seek a lawyer and go to court where the judge told me that I was on a year parole and if I didn't get into "trouble," the conviction would be expunged from my record. I am appyling for a job and want to know if this will appear on...

Will arrest show up on Criminal Record? [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested a week ago by my daughter-in-law on domestic charges. Her 'statement' was incorrect and she 'embellished' things and the police found evidence to arrest me. It was devastating to say the least - considering the kids (with their baby) lived with my husband and I and we paid for...

Criminal Background [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my criminal backgroung cleared if I did something 12 years ago?

View more questions Search