Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkB1017 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Carpet over basement floor drain?
    Hello,

We recently had a small flooding in our finished basement that was caused by the floor drain backing up. Of course, this floor drain was covered by padding and carpet. I am in process of laying down new padding and the carpet and was wondering if this is a safe practice to cover floor drains in the basement? I prefer to cut and opening in the carpet and put the drain cover over it for the sake of being able to have access to the floor drain to clean out or just keep an eye on. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB1017
    Hello,

We recently had a small flooding in our finished basement that was caused by the floor drain backing up. Of course, this floor drain was covered by padding and carpet. I am in process of laying down new padding and the carpet and was wondering if this is a safe practice to cover floor drains in the basement? I prefer to cut and opening in the carpet and put the drain cover over it for the sake of being able to have access to the floor drain to clean out or just keep an eye on. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
    You have options here. If you wanted to cap off the floor drain you could jam rags down it and fill it with cement. But I sense that you want to seal it so it won't back up so it can be used if you decide to open it up. Right? You can jam a rubber ball down there to seal the drain or you could check out floor drain flood guards at; Flood guards for floor drains - check valve to prevent flooding from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY (see image). Good luck, tom
    MarkB1017 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Thanks guys for the quick response. I was able to snake and get rid of the clog from the clean out. Obviously, the drain pipe not only carries the kitchen sink waste but also the washing machine water from the 2nd floor. Needless to say, lots of food trapped that came up from the floor drain when it flooded . To make sure I am clear here, have you seen people carpeting their basement and actually making a cut out hole in their carpet to fit over the floor drain and covering it with a floor cap (one with slots in it)? I know it would look tacky but I would feel better about being able to look into the drain and look for warning signs in case it is starting to get clogged again. Again, thanks for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Yesterday, 03:24 PM
    Hank flynn
    New Member Join Date: Dec 2007
    Never Ever Cover The Drain In The Basement Floor, That Could Cause A Complete Plumbing Rupture. The Drain Is Also To Vent Air. Leave It Uncovered And Deal With The Real Problem. Lack Of Sewer And Drain Coverage On Your Homeowners Policy. Ask Your Agent For A Sewer And Drain Endorsement . Call Your Municipality And Have Outside Sewers Checked For Cracks , And Tree Roots.
    If you have underground sewers don't cover drain period , carpeting around sure, ask a licensed plumber in your area. A plumber from Alabama I would not trust for . I have been south of Tennessee and the building codes and "licensed work " are terrible. Flooding from outside sewers is covered by insurance for contents of basement if you have the correct policy. Water from outside usually not covered in most locations slots is fine
    I couldn't believe all the fralse statements in Hanks two posts. A floor drain's part of the venting system? : Outrageous!
    A complete plumbing rupture? Completely false and misleading!
    Don't trust plumbers south of Tennessee? Comon Hank! Turn us on to some of that stuff you been smokin.
    One of my functions on this page is to find and cotrrect bad advice but this is the wordt case of false statements and bad advice that I've ever come across. Hank, It's plain to see you know absolutely nothing about plumbing. Let me invite you to post elsewhere, We are here to help people not to confuse them and instead of helping with the problem you're becoming part of it. Sorry to be so frank but we can't allow askers to read your "off the the wall drivel" and think it's valid response from someone who has plumbing knowledge. Good bye, Hank
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB1017
    Thanks guys for the quick response. I was able to snake and get rid of the clog from the clean out. Obviously, the drain pipe not only carries the kitchen sink waste but also the washing machine water from the 2nd floor. Needless to say, lots of food trapped that came up from the floor drain when it flooded . To make sure I am clear here, have you seen people carpeting their basement and actually making a cut out hole in their carpet to fit over the floor drain and covering it with a floor cap (one with slots in it)? I know it would look tacky but I would feel better about being able to look into the drain and look for warning signs in case it is starting to get clogged again. Again, thanks for your help.
    Mark,
    Plug the drain and carpet over it. Follow my advice as to if you wish to cap it off permanently or to stop it off so it may be uaed again. Forget the grate. Unless you plan on running water over your freshly carpeted floor. If you plug it off there will be no warning signs because it will be impossible for the floor drain to overflow. I gave you the only options available, leaving a open floor drain in the middle of a carpeted area isn't one of them. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New floor drain in basement [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a rookie here and hope to find some information. I am currently finishing my basement (concrete floor) and I'm going to install a steam room. The steam room requires a floor drain and I'm looking to put it about 18" to 24" from the existing ruffed in shower drain in the nearby bathroom. My...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

We were having problems with the basement floor drain not draining, so a friend (who worked for Roto Rooter) came over and unplugged the "overflow plug" and said that would fix it. Another friend at a later date said that was dangerous because of methane gas coming up - can you tell me who is...

Basement floor drain [ 6 Answers ]

We have a cast iron basement floor drain with no valve to prevent backflow. Can you put such a valve in an iron pipe and, if so, would I have to go to a plumbing specialty store to get one? The ones at Home Depot are only meant for plastic pipe. If I have to convert to plastic, what is the best...

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

View more questions Search