Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosspoulin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
    220 volt 2-wire with ground
    My new electric wall oven has a 3-wire with ground (black, red, white & ground). The previous oven was attached to the current circuit which is #10 2-wire with ground (black, white, ground). How do I make this connection to run both the 110v & 220 volt components on the new oven?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Can't guess the voltage of the old oven.

Your going to have to run a new 4 wire service to the new oven with the proper gage wire and connect L1 and L2 to a properly rated breaker. Your also going to have to connect Neutral (White) and (Ground).

Transformers can be used to create the 120 V if the old oven was 240, but you would need to know how much 120 is needed in amps or watts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 10:22 PM
    The old oven may have been all 240, or used the ground as neutral. I am not sure if you are allowed to do that with a new oven. Since my range is wired up that way, I may fix whatever goes wrong rather than buying a new one.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 03:21 AM
    You do not need to change the feeder cable, as advised.

Simply connect the white and ground from the oven to the bare in the cable.

This is only allowed for existing cables for ovens, cooktops, ranges, and dryers.
    deltau922 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    You do not need to change the feeder cable, as advised.

Simply connect the white and ground from the oven to the bare in the cable.

This is only allowed for existing cables for ovens, cooktops, ranges, and dryers.
    Just so I understand... I would connect the white, black and ground cables to their correct port on the oven, and do nothing with the port where a red wire is supposed to go? Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
    You misunderstood him. Black and red are hots and must go to their terminals. Connect the white to bare. The white should be connected to the metal cabinet or green wire somewhere.
    deltau922 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
    OK, unfortunately I don't have the red on the wire that runs to my breaker. Only black, white and copper ground.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
    White is not likely a neutral and goes directly to the breaker, but you'll have to check.
    If white does go to the 240 breaker. both ends should be taped red.

If, indeed it's a 240 line white and black will be going directly to the breaker, Bare will be connected to ground in the breaker box.

This is why your supposed to tape wires the color they are supposed to be. This happens when using switches and in your case when the cable contains white, black and bare and it's a 240 V circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older 220 volt wire [ 13 Answers ]

I have an older 220v wire with only 3 wires... 2 hot and 1 ground/neutral (bare). I need to connect (splice) it to a newer 220v wire with 4 wires... 2 hot, 1 neutral (white), and a ground (bare). And older I mean less than 15 years old.

Splicing 220 volt 6 ga. Wire [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: In regards to question asked by 1936 roadster on oct.7 2007 @ 11:34pm. I have a 220 volt 50 amp. 6 ga. 4 conductor electric wire that is about 6 feet to short to reach new location. Does the nec permit in line splices? Do they have to be staggered? Do they have to be enclosed. This line...

Under ground wire [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this so thank you in advance for any and all advice. I live in Massachusetts and I want to run some wire under ground from my house to a shed and a gazebo in my back yard. I'm planning on building a water garden next to the gazebo and need electricity for the pump. It's a long way...

Ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

At what point do you have to use a ground wire in lu of metal conduit, Or do you?

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

View more questions Search