Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused927 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Do I still qaulify for the EIC if my husband uses a ITIN #
    I am a born citizen, but my husband is not. He has know SS #. I was told we could apply for a ITIN number for him. He has not worked this year due to a bad car accident and I need to claim him on my taxes because we are in the process of getting his green card and a tax return helps prove marriage. We have 2 children. My question is I know people who use the ITIN number do not qaulify for the EIC, but will I if I put him on my taxes? Should I claime him as a dependent or file jointley even though he has know income. Also can I apply for his ITIN number ahead of time? Thank you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Get ITIN and file as Married Filing Jointly. Your husband is treated as treated as resident for the tax purposes. You must include his world wide income. You can get EIC.
    For EIC, the AGI limit without qualifying child for Married Filing Jointly is $14,120, and for Single (over 25) is $12,120.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
    MukatA:

Sorry, in this case you are wrong.

If either parent has an ITIN, they are NOT eligible for the EIC. That is clearly covered in the EIC chapter of IRS Pub 17.

Confused:

I answered your email earlier today. Did you get it?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Yes, on the joint return you can get EIC only if your husband also has SSN.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Agreed!
    nawafpower Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Was there a change on this particular law for the 2011 tax refund? I got a rejection letter for EIC since my wife has an ITIN number
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
    No, the law still applies.

Jun 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Check this out and let me know if I have a way around this in my situation. I just lost $3,400.00 because of this.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc601.html
    Thanks

Jun 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
    And, will there be a difference in my case if I files married separate not joined tax refund? Will I still lose the EIC?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
    There is no work around. If the return has an ITIN ANYWHERE on the forms (taxpayer, spouse, dependent), it is INELIGIBLE for the Earned Income Credit.

If you file Married Filing Separately, you are automatically ineligible for the EIC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itin w7 [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I filed my taxes last year jointly as I was married and applied for my wife's itin number (I'm on h1b and she is on h4). IRS complained that there was problem with the w7 and processed my tax return without the itin number for my wife. So I got my tax return less by $500. Can I...

To get an ITIN no. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am non-immigrant worker in US. I applied for my 2007 tax returns and applied for my wife's ITIN no. I got my refund amount to my bank account directly. Due to my change of address, after appling for the returns I did not receive my wife's ITIN no. how do I get my wife's ITIN no. ...

Itin to ssn [ 3 Answers ]

I have my h1b approved and now am legally allowed to work after October 1st 2007. I also received my itin. I will have to apply for my social security number soon. When is the best time to apply? Do I need to take a copy of my itin as well?

Do we need a ITIN? [ 3 Answers ]

I'M a j1 researcher and my wife a J2 with no income. I prepared 1040NR for federal taxes but the California 549NR form asks for my wife's SSN or ITIN and we have not neither of them for her or the children. What can we do? Thank you very much a prompt response.

How to get ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hai, My husband came to US in June 2006 in H1. I and my son came to US in November 2006 in H4. 1. What is the procedure for getting ITIN? 2. Should me and my son both apply for ITIN? 3. What are the documents that I should have so that I can apply for ITIN? 4. How long will it take...

View more questions Search