Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerrysr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Ford 2005 6.0 diesel
    I have had a rough idle problem with the 6.0 diesel, I take it to Ford and they repair it but never tell what they did. It has happened again for the third time, any ideas what could be happening?? Thanks
    Man Flan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2006, 06:18 PM
    I have a neighbor who works at sixflags. He fixes these little cars that you can drive around.After a while he realised that he could more hours if when a car had a probolem he would just fix it enough that it would run but not enough that it would shortly break down again. Mabey you should try going to a different machanic.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2006, 07:29 PM
    It's difficult to say for sure, but it may be a diesel fuel/water separation issue. Look into how to service the water separator yourself and ask other diesel owners in your area who has the best diesel fuel. Change the fuel filter regularly. These are common concerns for diesel owners.

You could probably call the Ford dealer and ask them to look into what service was performed.
    chosen1 Posts: 60, Reputation: -7

Nov 26, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrysr
    I have had a rough idle problem with the 6.0 diesel, I take it to Ford and they repair it but never tell what they did. It has happened again for the third time, any ideas what could be happening??? Thanks
    Lemon LAW! Buy a duramax
    Jerrysr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 10:55 AM
    I found the problem to my rough idle and slow take off. May help some of you in the future. Had the oil changed at a local fast oil change garage, they used Shell Rotella. Took it to the Ford garage and they found that the oil level was way past full and they told me Rotella foams too much for this version 6.0 diesel. They changed the oil, put the right amount in and the engine runs great.:)
    coyote556 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrysr
    I have had a rough idle problem with the 6.0 diesel, I take it to Ford and they repair it but never tell what they did. It has happened again for the third time, any ideas what could be happening??? Thanks
    The 6.0 ford was plagued with problems. I don't want to be the barrer of bad news, however most of the problems associated with that engine were injector related.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Where I work we have a 2005 6.0 and it's been nothing but trouble. 14 injectors and been replaced, wiring harness replaced, oil pressure seņor for injectors replaced.

We are getting rid of this cash machine which is emptying out pocket.
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
    6.0 do have problems with injectors... most from lack of maitence. Did you ever replace the fuel filter under the hood on top of engine? Or just the one under body? If dealer does all the work to replace one injector you should allways have them replace all on the same side, yes injectors are lots of money but labor is/should be only an hour more to replace all on same side. Use cetane boost from ford this helps. Use correct oil with outside temp and change when do. Does the truck idle a lot? Then should be changed by hours not miles

What is vin? I can tell you what was done if done at a ford dealer
    Charlie123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 06:08 PM
    A friend of mine has a bunch of these trucks, the problem with his is always corrected by Ford Dealer changing the oil filter and oil using the Ford brand oil and filter, amazing, but the problem seems to be the oil running the injectors and cooling the turbo.

Just maybe the injector problems you hear of are from running a non approved oil and filter??

I put Amsoil in my 05 and changed filter and it runs fine, use marine grade diesel oil if you decide to use Amsoil, by the way it was recommended by a retired Ford engineer to me personally, not second handed info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 F-350 7.3 diesel overheats [ 6 Answers ]

This is the first diesel I've owned, so I need some advice. It has 221,000 miles on it, only about 10,000 put on by me. Whenever I pull a trailer at highway speeds, it overheats--worse when loaded, but sometimes even when empty. It has an aftermarket high-performance air filter (Airaid) which...

Diesel Engine Swap [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to swap a gas engine (per say, in a 95 Jetta) for a diesel engine? What about emissions? ECM's etc? Assuming you had a free engine, would it be worth it? Or even allowed? Thanks

Ford Power Stroke Diesel Problems [ 27 Answers ]

I'm looking for a 3/4 ton pick-up and noticed there are a lot of Ford F-250's for sale that have the "Power Stroke" 6L diesel engine. A friend of mine told me to stay away from them because they have problems, but couldn't be more specific. Anybody know the history on these engines?:confused:

99 F350 power stroke diesel [ 1 Answers ]

Engine goes dead when u turn wipers on. Have u got any idea??

Diesel fumes [ 3 Answers ]

We installed a new furnace in our modular home a year ago. Since it was installed we have a problem with fumes when the furnace is running. The manufacture told me to duct air from under the house to the combustion. The fumes occur just before the blower shuts off. It is a forced air unit.

View more questions Search