Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kar_the_terrible Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
    401k into Roth IRA for foreign nationals
    I'm on an H1-B and switched employers recently. The new employer has a 403b contribution plan and will not let me mix funds from my 401k. First of all, do I have to be a permanent resident or a US citizen in order to open an IRA account? (Single and under the 110k limit)

If I can in fact have an IRA, I'm allowed to remove funds from a Roth IRA after 5 years without penalties correct? What are the tax implications of moving my 401k funds to a Roth IRA if this is at all possible?

Is there such a thing as a Roth 401k with the same money withdrawal rules as the Roth IRA?

Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I can't answer your question about rules for H1-B visa holders, but in general you can roll your old 401(k) plan only into a rollover IRA plan or another 401(k), but you can not roll it to a Roth 401(k). A rollover IRA is NOT the same as a Roth IRA, and you will eventually owe taxes when you make withdrawals. Remember, the contributions you made (and that your previous employer may have matched) were with pre-tax dollars, so the IRS hasn't had the opportunity to take its share. With a Roth IRA you use after-tax dollars, meaning you already paid tax on it. That's why you must always keep Roth IRA monies separate from both ordinary IRAs and roll-over IRAs.

There is indeed something called a Roth 401(k), but few employers are offering them yet. They have only come into being this year, so they will probably pick up in popularity over the next few years. As with a Roth IRA, if you had a Roth 401(k) you would fund it with after-tax dollars. Not sure about withdrawal rules, but I suspect that they are similar to traditional 401(k) rules (i.e. withdrawals only after age 59-1/2 without penalty, ability to take loans, etc). You should also be able to roll a Roth 401(k) into a Roth IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth ira [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I not contributed to our Roth IRA this year, thinking we would be over the $160k/year MAGI income limit. We have now figured out that isn't going to happen. Our ~ MAGI will be about $148k. So, should we take money out of one of two mutal funds (VGIRX) we have been putting $100/month...

Should I/how to convert IRA-BDA to a Roth IRA [ 0 Answers ]

A few years ago I inherited an IRA. It's now referred to as an IRA-BDA. It is all one mutual fund. As it stands now, when I withdraw from it I have the option of taking out 10-15% taxes on the amount withdrawn, or waiting until tax time to pay it. 1.Would it be more beneficial to change my...

Roth IRA for 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

My case is Jan '06 - May '06 = F1 Jun '06 - Sep '06 = OPT Oct '06 - Dec '06 = H1 So I'll be filing as a non-resident. My question is can I start a roth IRA and contriute towards the 2006 limit before the taxes deadline? Some brokerage firms require individuals to be residents to be able to...

401k to Roth IRA [ 3 Answers ]

I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000. If I...

Roth IRA Limits [ 1 Answers ]

I contribute to a Roth IRA currently. The amount I contribute is reduced based on my AGI. I have been able in the past to compute the max amount I'm allowed to contribute. However, I plan on getting married this year and I am trying to figure just how this will impact my/our contributions to the...

View more questions Search