Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Berwick Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 08:08 AM
    No Heat on Top Floor with Boiler System-why?
    Good Morning,

I have a newer boiler system-1998 in a 2 story house, (but it still has an old style expansion tank).

I have 15lbs pressure reading on the gauge, but I do not have any heat in 2 radiators on the top floor. I have tried to bleed, but little or no air is coming out of the bleeders. Valves are turned on!

In a previous post it was mentioned that you can increase the water pressure to help bleed the system. I am hoping this could help my situation, but I don't know where the "pressure adjustment" is and if it is the right thing to start with.

I also wanted to know if there were any special techniques in bleeding the rads? Can I open more than 1 valve at a time? Does the boiler need to be on-running while I do it?

Thanks,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 10:31 AM
    To bleed air the boiler should be running. You should be able to hear air coming out as you bleed.
    Your 15 pound setting should be OK.
    Your pump could havre a bad impeller.
    Try running the boiler then bleeding and post back.

Nov 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Thanks... I turned open the bleeder with the boiler running and had air for a few seconds but then it stopped. I closed and reopened- same result. Still no heat from rad. Should I hear the air until water starts to come out? If so, this is not happening.

Nov 24, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Actually the air noise should be present as it vents.
    If you cannot get the air out the system pressure might have to be increased.
    When was the last time this system was serviced?

Nov 24, 2007, 09:12 PM
    I had the system serviced 2 yrs ago... it was cleaned and the expansion tank drained... too full. About the impeller the motor sounds quiet,e g. no weird noises!

I would like to turn up the pressure a little so that I can see if it will cause more air to vent however I am not familiar enough with this specific system to know how to adjust it.

BTW, is it a problem if I try to bleed two rads at the same time?

Thanks again,
    Ad

Nov 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
    You should only bleed one at a time and you might have to bleed them more than one time. There is a pressure reducing valve in the fill water line. It may have a fast fill lever or a adjustment screw locked by a nut on the top of it. Many are red. Turn screw down to increase pressure but just a 1/2 turn at a time and then see what the gauge reads in a few minutes.
    If it has a lever just raise it for a second to all a bit of water into the boiler. You do not want to go over 20 pounds for testing purposes.

If this fails call for service. BTW you might also isolate the expansion tank and drain. Once drained do not forget to open the isolation valve back up. The isolation valve prevents water from going into the tank while you are draining it. Try draining the tank first then if that does not work do the add pressure thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Second Floor not getting enough heat or air through Forced Air System [ 1 Answers ]

I recently switched from radiator heat to a forced air system. I am not getting a strong enough air flow to heat or cool the second floor. As a result I must keep my window air conditioners and now I must go buy electrical heat for the upstair bedrooms. Does anyone know how to fix this situation?

Heat doesn't reach top floor [ 7 Answers ]

Our heating and AC doesn't reach our top floor. We have a basement, first floor and second floor. During the summer we use window AC, but in the winter it gets incredibly cold up there. At one point it was 40F. We put in a fan to pull up the air, but that hasn't helped. We want to fix it...

Hotwater heat (Boiler) [ 1 Answers ]

I have two zones heating my house,all rooms except one does not receive heat. All rooms on that one zone did not receive heat until I removed the air out of that zone my removing many buckets of water,one room at a time started to receive heat. I believe I removed all the air out of the line but no...

View more questions Search