Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 11, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Are these materials legal in NYC?
    Hi all,

I know that the New York City local electrical code has some pretty nasty restrictions that most of the USA doesn't (e.g. you still can't use nonmetallic cable and PVC boxes even after all these years - everything has to be either BX or conduit), so I'm wondering if they're just as *BEEP!* about plumbing codes.

1) Can PEX (the red, flexible garden-hose-type with the crimp connections) be used for supply lines (including inside walls)? What about CPVC?

2) Can PVC be used for drain lines in New York City? If yes, what about connecting new PVC drain pipes to existing cast-iron systems?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Sorry Moshie,

You'll have to check local codes to find that out. Call the Building Department, Code Division. What vare you planing? Tom
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 12, 2006, 01:31 PM
    I was thinking of installing an over-the-stove pot filler, using PEX as the supply pipe (since it's a retrofit job).

As for the PVC, I was just curious at the time. However, about ten minutes ago, it suddenly became a very real concern when I discovered that one of my sinks' drain pipe had corroded to the point where it started leaking, so now I need to replace it with something; if PVC is legal, it'll probably be cheaper. Either way, I guess I better run over to the plumbing supply store before they close...
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
    [QUOTE=PalmMP3]Hi all,

I know that the New York City local electrical code has some pretty nasty restrictions that most of the USA doesn't (e.g. you still can't use nonmetallic cable and PVC boxes even after all these years - everything has to be either BX or conduit), so I'm wondering if they're just as *BEEP!* about plumbing codes.

1) Can PEX (the red, flexible garden-hose-type with the crimp connections) be used for supply lines (including inside walls)? What about CPVC?

2) Can PVC be used for drain lines in New York City? If yes, what about connecting new PVC drain pipes to existing cast-iron systems?[/QUOTE... electrical conduit must be metal only...
    All nyc have is either galvenize /brass or copper for supply... as for the drain not sure it is ligit for pvc... it could be use for indirect drain(in the open)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transparent Materials [ 3 Answers ]

I am a third year student, and in my current project I am looking for an alterative to using glass. I want to use a material that lets as much light through as possible, but can't be seen through. Any help, or links, would be greatly appreciated. Dave Pratt

Materials price variance [ 1 Answers ]

Cox Engineering performs cement core tests in its lab. The following standards have been set for each core test performed: Standard hours or quantity Standard price or rate Direct Materials: 3 pounds ...

Materials cost variance homework... [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know.. that what is meant by materials cost variance under standard cost accounting procedure? How is it expressed? In how parts it is spliit? Please help me sloveing this question. Thanks a lot...

Exporting ayurvedic materials [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a exporters of various ayurvedic medicines. Where & how I can find the list of companies which will import the ayurvedic materials?

Materials [ 1 Answers ]

What are ceramics?

View more questions Search