Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharon kreuzpaintner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
    How many calories in in a cup of purina little bites dog food?
    My chocolate lab is 1-1/2 yrs.old and 20-25# overweight.The vet gave us calories to be feeding her but the bag of food does not give caloric contents of Purina Lil Bites.I need help!
    Katz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon kreuzpaintner
    My chocolate lab is 1-1/2 yrs.old and 20-25# overweight.The vet gave us calories to be feeding her but the bag of food does not give caloric contents of Purina Lil Bites.I need help!
    Try contacting Purina through the internet to see if they have that info on their website or ask the vet. Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 06:16 PM
    I know I have seen that info somewhere, but forget where. I checked the Pro Plan and Purina 1 bags I have on hand, and was surprised it wasn't on them. They did have 800 numbers to call for more info. You do want to follow your vet's plan. Overweight causes many health problems. You want to get her to her ideal body condition, but not too rapidly.

In trying to figure out how much to buy at times, I figured out that Pro Plan has 4.5 cups per pound. I suspect most other chows are about the same. You could use that figure if you are given calories per pound.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I know I have seen that info somewhere, but forget where. I checked the Pro Plan and Purina 1 bags I have on hand, and was surprised it wasn't on them.
    This drives me insane! When I am comparing pet foods, or thinking about switching brands, one of the things I want to know is "how much of brand X do I need to feed in order to get the same calories as in brand Y". You'd think that pet food companies would make this easier by putting the amount of calories/cup on the bag!

Thanks for letting me vent. :)
    Katz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Amen Froggy;) After seeing Sharon's question I decided to try and do some searching of my own and guess what... NOTHING:( Kind of makes u wonder what is really in this dog food that we r feeding our pets. I looked on my bag of Natural Life and like Sharon said... no info about calories. I think I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with some info. Have a great day u guys.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 09:16 PM
    You know the other reason I hate it? You can't figure out how much to decrease your feeding amount to account for treats. Right now Trink is getting about 1300 cal/day, and is staying at a good weight. So if I use cheese as a training aid one day, I can do a quick calculation and say that the cheese is supplying 300 calories, so the dry food needs to come down to 1000 calories. Otherwise I just have to guess if she is getting too much or too little.
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
    One way out of that is measure out the dog's ration of kibble for the day. Then steal what you need as treats. Training treats don't need to be so special. I remember the one lady that saw me in the grocery store with my puppy. I don't know how long I stood there listening to what all her Springer Spanials would do for 1 Cheerio.
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Oh, I know that I can use kibble to train. But you are dealing with a highly trainable breed, and I am dealing with one much less so. She will work for cheese much harder than anything else I have found. Well, hotdogs too, but those are much messier. :)

And really, it generally winds up that I find out that I am giving her an extra hundred calories or so in training treats (we don't work all that hard, since I'm not trying to fix any bad behaviors), so generally I just scant the cup a little when I measure out the food.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:48 PM
    In the long run, just keep track of her ribs, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 09:07 PM
    She's got beautiful ribs. Looks a lot like the picture of the "skinny" pitbull. Watching her breathe is like watching water ripple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Treating dog bites [ 3 Answers ]

My poor Trink got bit at the dog park this morning (and do NOT get me started on people who bring a foster Great Dane to a dog park without knowing how it's going to interact with other dogs!). It doesn't look that bad... one puncture up on top of her shoulder (where the little bumps are) and one...

Dog jumps and bites my face! [ 12 Answers ]

Our 8 month old beagle/boston terrier mix is starting to calm down only slightly. She was spayed a few months ago. She's a VERY hyper dog, always has to be running around, can't just sit still. Anyway, for the most part she's well behaved. The biggest problem is that all of a sudden she can just...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

Dog Bites my mom [ 1 Answers ]

HI my name is Scooby "D" and as U can see I'm a very cute wiener dog I also have a sister Forest Gump we look alike but I don't bite unike my sis Forest . Anyhows I just wanted to say hello. R there... I had to leave my2 yr old forest at my sis house 4 about 7 months when i moved in with my sis...

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search