Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpmcdowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Ceiling Fan Works Fine, Light is Dim
    We have a Hampton Bay "Brookedale" model ceiling fan. It is about a year old and was working fine until a few days ago. We came home and it was on (we left the house and it was turned off), with the fan running and the light on, but not it's usual brightness, very dim. I've checked the wiring to the fan from the outlet box and it appears OK and the connection from the fan to the light fixture and this seems to be fine also. The fan works fine, it only appears the light fixture is impacted.

Any suggestions?
    cpmcdowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Ummm, I would like to let everyone know about a feature I was unaware of with this fan's remote. After, ahem, reading the directions, it appears that if you hold down the light's on/off switch on the remote, it operates as a dimmer switch.

"Problem" solved, thanks for everyone's time!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Remote control fans that turn themselves on do so by two methods. The most common is a RF frequency from so other source like a TV, garage door or neighbor. That isn't your situation because your remote could over ride an errant RF. I think you got a power surge and the capacitor my be fried.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Glad you got it working.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Yep, glad its working but you also said "we left the house and it was turned off" so I think you still have a ghost.
    Repairasker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Comment on cpmcdowell's post
    This answer is very accurate.
    Repairasker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
    I had this same problem - and my energy saving bulbs on my ceiling fan kept blinking. I measured the voltage and found a low 70V at the bulb socket. I then consulted the Internet, found this string and found that I had the same issue: a remote that can be used to brighten the lights (increase the voltage). It seems that whenever the fixture is turned off the light system defaults to low dim. Thanks for your post - it solved my problem too!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2008, 06:05 PM

Correct. You can't use energy saving bulbs on most remote fans.
    daniann77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Thank you so much for posting the solution to this... I too was having the same problem and here my 2 year old was playing with the remote and must have held the button down. It has been driving me crazy for weeks!! Early Christmas present for me because I was worried I would have to replace the fan! Happy Holidays!
    YancyP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Comment on cpmcdowell's post
    Thank you, Thank you! I was scatching my head for weeks about this. You just saved me a ton of time & money. Hampton Bay needs to put something on the remote to show how to dim or that the button also dims. It would avoid the confusion.
    kboyer80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
    After doing everything except disassembling our ceiling fan, I typed in this question... and voilą! Problem solved. Now my husband is playing with the dimmer on the remote control :) Thanks!
    XTheFinalWordX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Thank you for posting up the fix. I had a contractor install the fan and remote and didn't get any paper work on the unit from him. So I wasn't aware it had a dimmer in it. So I was going mad for a few hours until I found this thread and the solution for the fix. Thanks again!!
    hugobugg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
    Scandinavian 42" (105 cm) dual mount style fan with remote control. Three speeds. Integrated glass light kit, halogen type. Four teak-finish blades. Purchased at Canadian Tire.

Problem: C-Fan light was dim.
    Solution: press and hold down the light button on remote to increase brightness. Lol

ElectriciSteve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 01:26 AM
    Brilliant!

I'd taken the thing to bits trying to work out where the regulator/power converter was. Then I saw the reply to this...

Thank you, thank you!
    dohboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
    Thanks! I had same issue! What kind of weird interface is this?
    blue-j Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Oh my God, this worked!

I love Google and you guys for fixing my problem so quickly!

I had installed a new ceiling fan, and when I turned on the lights, it would turn on brightly then immediately dim. I thought something was wrong with the wiring or the fan.
    I googled it and found your answer, I went home and pushed on the remote's light button, and Voilą! Dim light got brighter!

Yay!
    B6705 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 02:34 PM
    Thank you for helping me figure out why every single bulb I purchased didn't seem to light the room bright enough! Sorry, Lowe's... there was nothing in the owners manual about this one!
    B6705 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2013, 02:36 PM
    I guess there were instructions about this... BUT IT SHOULD BE IN BIG, BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS!!!
    Fayaud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2014, 09:22 PM
    Same here, my 10 month old loves the fan remote! Thank you for posting. This was driving me nuts!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Harbor Breeze Avian Ceiling Fan - very dim light [ 18 Answers ]

I bought and installed a 52" Harbor Breeze Avian ceiling fan with a built-in light kit from Lowe's, but the light is VERY VERY dim. It takes a 100w halogen bulb... I tried replacing it because I thought maybe it was just the bulb, but the next one was just as dim. I've searched all over for help...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan - light will not dim [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light and remote. Remote is model TC707ST, but I cannot see model number of fan. Installing contractor a year ago must have discarded manual. This lighted fan has worked perfectly before, but now when I use the remote to turn on and dim the light, it will...

View more questions Search