Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmabbey Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
    My 11 week old puppy has bad diarrhea
    I have had my 11 week old golden ret./ lab mix puppy for a week now. And I haven't really had any problems. I went to the vet today w/ him and all was clean and good in his body and stool. He was given a kennel cough vaccine and a general check-up. This morning his stool was runnier then normal but tonight the past 3 times the movements have been pure liquid. When I asked the vet she said mybe too many rawhides in a few days... but I don't know its making me nervous. Going to the vet is the only thing that has changed, no diet change nothing. I don't know what to do. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
    I am tempted to panic, but if the vet wasn't too worried, maybe I shouldn't be. Diarrhea is a major symptom of parvo, which quickly kills many young puppies. Perhaps see if he settles down on a bland diet.

If a dog is having trouble keeping anything down or continuing diarrhea try this out of the manual I have from a large, knowledgeable dog guide school.

Bland recovery diet for dogs.

3 parts cooked rice, one part boiled hamburger or chicken, or cottage cheese. I think you can substitute boiled potatoes for the rice. Once in an emergency, we bought a plain baked potato from Wendy's.

This is meant for short time settling a dog's digestive tract. It is not the complete and balanced diet they need long term. I have seen it work.

For other material you may find useful, see the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Pma, stop feeding the puppy the rawhides. They can cause diarrhea. Even though this hasn't happened prior to the vet visit, they can trigger it at any time. The diarrhea may also be a response to the stress a vet visit can cause. Stop any treats and follow labman's bland food diet. As long as your pup is still eating and drinking water, he should be fine. If the diarrhea isn't under control by tomorrow morning, or if he stops eating, drinking, or appears lethargic, follow up with the vet again. Just keep a close eye on him and don't get yourself too worked up. I know it is hard, but dogs do feed off our emotions, and if you are nervous, he will sense it. That can continue to trigger the diarrhea response.
    Puppy Owner Posts: 5, Reputation: 4

Nov 19, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I have recently had a very similar problem, thank god you mentioned raw hides, these were the only common factor when my 17 week old Lab was having the worst runs ever. Up every 2 hours to relieve himself. When I phoned the vet her advise was to starve him for 24 hrs and then do exactly what Labman recommends i.e. giving him boiled rice for a day then returning to his usual chow. He was fine evry since and he won't be gettng anymore raw hides!! :)
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
    I am not sure I have heard that rawhides causes the runs. There are far worse problems. From the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Chew toys. The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Labman, please take it from me, along with the problem of creating a choking hazard or blockages, another issue that can be created from a dog chewing on raw hide is diarrhea. In the past, I have had to clean up the messes from it. LOL. About 5 years ago, one vet told me that they were finding that rawhide that is manufactured outside of the U.S. use arsenic in some form during the processing. Since we can't always tell if a rawhide chew made for dogs is actually made in the U.S. and since they do pose a choking and blockage hazard, it is just common sense for people to stop using them altogether and find better alternatives.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
    It is amazing how a product so few experts endorse, remains so popular.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 month old puppy smells so bad after baths [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy dante is 5 months and yes he loves to play outside. I try to give him a bath every 3-4 days with a puppy shampoo but he still smells bad. Is this because he still a puppy coat of hair? His breath has been smelling horrible also? Any suggestions on how 2 keep him happy and smelling...

Puppy with bad gas? [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy dante is about 4 months old. I haven't had the money 2 get him his shots yet. I know that's bad but there's just no money left over. Anyway he's been having really bad gas latley, like could clear a room.. lol. I was wondering if this is normal or may it be the food he's eating or what?...

Diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I did not see a section for pets so I thought it would be okay to ask my question under "people medical conditions". My dog is 6 months old and he has had diarrhea and mucous covered stool off and on for about 3 months now. We have taken him to the vet 3 times and the first time it was Giardia, the...

Puppy diarrhea and vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

During the day I leave my 6 month old yorkie in a kennel. Today, when I came home she had diarrhea. Later on in the day she started vomiting. What do I do until I get her to a vet?

6wk old puppy has touch of diarrhea [ 1 Answers ]

One of my two puppies has a touch of diarrhea. They were playing together in their puppy playpen when I turned and saw that one of them (I'm not sure which one) had had a normal BM on the puppy pad. After I cleaned it up, my little dog, Abs, squatted and pooped out a tiny amount of loose stool,...

View more questions Search