Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2007, 08:42 PM
    What products are made from horses?
    Example like is lipstick and soap really made from horses? If so are there anymore or weird things made from animals like also is perfume made from an oxens sweat?:confused:
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
    What an interesting question...

I am interested in this as well...

I've heard that there was whale's blubber in perfume, but I kind of chalked that up to ignorance of the person that told it to me..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Premarin (estrogen for HRT) is made from pregnant mares' urine. Because of the outcry of animal rights people against the fact that the horses were forced to remain constantly in one place as their urine was tapped and because their foals were usually euthanized, this may have changed somewhat. I think there has been a synthetic substitute mentioned, and foals are now rescued and adopted out.

Many mustangs are rounded up in the Southwest desert and, along with unwanted old or feeble tame horses, are slaughtered and the meat sold to Europeans for food. The last slaughterhouse in the U.S. recently closed, so now horses are transported to Mexico and Canada for slaughter.
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
    What is Premarin?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Premarin is estrogen that can be prescribed for any female who needs more in her system because of a hysterectomy, menopause, etc. That's why PREGNANT mares are used (PREgnant MARes' urINe), because estrogen increases during pregnancy.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2007, 03:38 PM
    You have to specify what time frame you are looking at. We do a lot of things chemically now that used to be done with animal parts. Rennet (used to coagulate cheese) was made from calf stomach, glue from horses, gelatin from horses and cows, brushes and rope from horse hair (as are violin bows), etc. As to the perfume, you are probably thinking of ambergris, sometimes found in sperm whales. The musk used in perfumes originally came from musk deer.
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Wow!
    Sam_Felgen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
    The Tail Hair Of A Horse Is Used To Make A Violin Bow. I Didn't Know If You Knew But Yeah..
    Vision Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Felgen
    The Tail Hair Of A Horse Is Used To Make A Violin Bow. I Didn't Know If You Knew But Yeah..

Yes we did know... it was listed above

.deleted comments that did not need to be made ( perhaps thanking a poster instead of complaining will make others feel better, FC
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 22, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    What an interesting question...

I am interested in this as well....

I've heard that there was whale's blubber in perfume, but I kinda chalked that up to ignorance of the person that told it to me..
    They were close.
    It's really Ambergris
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Wow that really is creepy thanks for all of the info!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Horses... [ 10 Answers ]

Hey people I know nobody is going to read this, but I love horses soooooooo much. They are so beautiful when they walk. I want to buy a horse but can't find any I should buy. Any suggestions? :confused:

Horses [ 5 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about horses. Our eighteen yr. old horse seems to be going blind and I was wondering if anyone ever ran into the same problem and what did they do.

Horses [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering whether people knew anything about whether horses laid down on the ground much. I saw one of my horses down on the ground twice today and I have never seen them really do that before in my whole life. Granted I don't watch them all the time but it is freezing outside and I hope it...

View more questions Search