Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamesSnyder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
    How many outlets can you put on a 15 amp circuit?
    I am doing some wiring in a new garage I just built onto my house. The electrician I used never came back to finish the job and stop returning my calls. I am pretty sure I can finish it myself but I am having trouble. According to the plans all the lights and outlets are on one 15 amp circuit. This did get approved by the city to get the permits. All I had to do to finish the job is put 2 more outlets in, so I ran the wires and tied them into the last outlet on the line, but every time I flip the breaker it pops back instantly. There is nothing plugged into any of the outlets to be drawing a current. The plans have 2 lights and 6 outlets on one circuit, is this to many? If not what are other possibilities of what is causing the problem? When I disconnect the 2 new outlets and the problem stops.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:32 AM
    The short is in one of the 2 outlets, or both.
    Turn off power, remove, and you will probably see the problem, look for any connection between the hot and neutral or ground. Also look for damage to wiring, if romex, did staple
    Pinch through insullation?
    I would have lighting on separate circuit. I might also have at least a 20 amp circuit with #12 wiring, for maybe a small heater, or whatever.
    HardWorkingMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesSnyder
    I am doing some wiring in a new garage I just built onto my house. The electrician I used never came back to finish the job and stop returning my calls. I am pretty sure I can finish it myself but I am having trouble. According to the plans all the lights and outlets are on one 15 amp circuit. This did get approved by the city to get the permits. All I had to do to finish the job is put 2 more outlets in, so I ran the wires and and tied them into the last outlet on the line, but every time I flip the breaker it pops back instantly. There is nothing plugged into any of the outlets to be drawing a current. The plans have 2 lights and 6 outlets on one circuit, is this to many? If not what are other possibilities of what is causing the problem? When I disconnect the 2 new outlets and the problem stops.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    I had a problem like this. I ran two circuts using a 12 3 wire for outlets behind a bar. After splicing and capping off all my conections I flip the breaker it tripped. My problem was the ground was touching my hot lead two outlets in the line
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
    As long as they are wired right, the breaker will never trip until you try to run too many things at once. After adding another 4 outlets by my work bench, I realize I have 16 outlets on one 20 amp circuit. There are mostly places I want to plug in a tool, and I usually only use one at a time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixing outlets & lights on same circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Is their any reason that electric outlets and electric lights can not be on the same circuit?

How many double-gang outlets can one put on one 20A circuit? [ 2 Answers ]

Got a 3rd car garage. Installing 4 wall plugs - double-gang. That's 4 plugs per box. Anyway, I'm using 12 ga wire to do the job. Want 20 amps to power tools with. Don't want to 'run out' is what I'm thinking. The 'extra plugs' are for lights to see by, or any thing else that might need power....

How many outlets for one circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am inclosing my garage and making it into a entertainment room. It has two outlets know one of them is for the garage door opener. The lights are on another circuit. I the cicuit will be running a big screen plasma TV and stereo as well as some table lights. I have bought 2/12 romex and was...

Too many outlets on a circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 eletrical outlets, and there are also 2...

View more questions Search