Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkeys10725 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 05:48 AM
    How can you attach a wood wall to concrete floor?
    I need to build wood wall non bearing in a basement and attach the bottom plate to a concrete floor. What is the easiest and most secure method to do so. Should I use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate?
    Thanks.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 17, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Buy you a cheap ram set gun from Lowe's or homedepot, it's a gun that you have to place a charge in and a nail for concrete and hit the top of the tool with a hammer which drives the nail into the concrete, it is safer than it sounds lol. I think there like 20 for the cheaper ones. Plus loads and nails
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Also, use an adhesive like Liquid Nails... etc to attach the wood, if the nails should lose cohesion the adhesive will make sure it doesn't slip.

If you want to use another type of fastener, most home improvement stores have a wide variety of them, they will require drilling a pilot hole and hammering in, or the old 'tried and true' lead fastener and lag bolt.

Ken
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Nov 17, 2007, 04:25 PM
    First, do not use PT wood indoors.
    Second, Isolate any wood that comes in contact with the concrete floor with some kind of water impermeable gasket material such as 6 mil Poly or "sill gasket"
    For actual attachment you can use what ever you find easiest. For a small job you might consider just using concrete nails but if your concrete is more than 6 months old it will be Very hard and you should use either a power faster such as a RamSet or Hilti or a Pre Drilled fastner such as TapCon, Striker or even a screw and shield.
    Keep in mind that your fastner doesn't have to keep the wood from lifting but rather keep it from shifting. The ceiling will keep it from lifing.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 17, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I feel the need to comment on the (First, do not use PT wood indoors.) pressure treated
    This is code to use pressure treated wood for contact with concrete or brick. Now you don't want to use pressure treated in places that kids can chew on it but this isn't the case, and also pressure treated isn't the same as a few years back, it is a silicone based treatment not a poison as before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to attach a car port to a brick wall [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm thinking of adding a car port to my APT building. The outside is all bricks. How should the car port be attach to the brick wall. I heard a few strories and I'd like to have some real answers... please :eek: Attached you will find a pic and drawing of what I would like to do. My...

Attach stud walls to cement floor [ 9 Answers ]

I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.

Baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (180cf with no moving air) using a 1500W using a baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated electrical wall outlet. I would also like to control the temp. Inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I...

Can wood framing be anchored into concrete wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Remodeling my infinished basement on new home. As usual, when the builder built the home, all duct work, vents, gas lines and electrical was installed BELOW the main floor floor joists, and these items hang below the top plate at edge of concrete wall. The concrete wall is almost...

Wood fence mounted on concrete wall [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy all. I want to put up a wood fence, mounted on top of an existing poured concrete wall that's about 2' tall. My question is about how to connect the wooden posts to the concrete securely. I was thinking of drilling into the concrete, setting maybe 3/4" threaded bolts (using bolt-setting...

View more questions Search