Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cedrik Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Did Jesus ever say he was God?
    Hi!
    Simple question: Did Jesus ever say he was God?
    Thank you!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
    You might want to have a look at the following thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...od-139408.html

Nov 12, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    You might want to have a look at the following thread.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...od-139408.html

Hello Clough!
    Thank you for your answer. Actually I would like to know which division of Christianity thinks what, and which religion thinks what. What do Muslims say? Do Jeovah's Witnesses think Jesus IS God?
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Did you read some of the answers on the other thread? Did you also take a look at the very end of the thread?

Before people would answer this type of question, it really would help if you would post what you think first as to whether Jesus said he was God and also why you are asking the question. Thank you!
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Nov 12, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedrik
    Hello Clough!
    Thank you for your answer. Actually I would like to know which division of Christianity thinks what, and which religion thinks what. What do Muslims say? Do Jeovah's Witnesses think Jesus IS God?
    A short answer is no, nether Muslims or Jeovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus is God. Check out the link that Clough pointed out to see how this very question was answered.

Nov 12, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Did you read some of the answers on the other thread? Did you also take a look at the very end of the thread?

Before people would answer this type of question, it really would help if you would post what you think first as to whether or not Jesus said he was God and also why you are asking the question. Thank you!
    I did read that thread. I also did look at the end of the thread.

I am interested in the official view of the separate churches. Anglicans and Protestants? Roman Catholic? Etc, etc.

I am asking the question simply because I am confused. I am of Roman Catholic background and my teachings never included anything about Jesus being God. On the other hand the Trinity seems to imply the opposite.

Thank you for your help.

Nov 12, 2007, 08:14 PM
    I have found the following answer written by the Nicean Council:

The Council declared that the Father and the Son are of the same substance and are co-eternal, basing the declaration in the claim that this was a formulation of traditional Christian belief handed down from the Apostles. This belief was expressed in the Nicene Creed.

Does this view still reflect the one put forward by the Catholic church?

Nov 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I have found the following answer written by the Nicean Council:

The Council declared that the Father and the Son are of the same substance and are co-eternal, basing the declaration in the claim that this was a formulation of traditional Christian belief handed down from the Apostles. This belief was expressed in the Nicene Creed.

Does this view still reflect the one put forward by the Catholic church?

Yes
    FrOsT_bItE Posts: 125, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Jesus was God's son, so I've been told by my mother. God sent Jesus down to Earth. Read a bible, it can help a lot!

Nov 12, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FrOsT_bItE
    Jesus was God's son, so i've been told by my mother. God sent Jesus down to Earth. Read a bible, it can help alot!
    Actually the bible says many things that are very much contradicted by the Catholic church. I am interested in the official stances, not in the Bible itself!
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

Before people would answer this type of question, it really would help if you would post what you think first as to whether Jesus said he was God and also why you are asking the question. Thank you!
    I did read that thread. I also did look at the end of the thread.

I am interested in the official view of the separate churches. Anglicans and Protestants? Roman Catholic? Etc, etc.

I am asking the question simply because I am confused. I am of Roman Catholic background and my teachings never included anything about Jesus being God. On the other hand the Trinity seems to imply the opposite.

Thank you for your help.
    Okay, fair enough. Thank you so much for the clarification. Sometimes when people ask questions of this nature that are repeats of similar type questions, it is strongly suspected that they might be a homework questions of some kind. This is especially true when the original poster never logs back onto this site to respond to answers that have been given.

Hopefully, someone who is of Roman Catholic background will notice your post and answer according to how he or she knows about what you are asking. Also, it would be interesting to see if people of other faiths do know what the definitive answer is to your question according to the doctrines of their particular faith.

I hope that I am assuming correctly, that you would also want to know why they have the answers they do, according to what their particular faith teaches? Also, that those posting answers can simply answer your question without mud-slinging at others who have also answered? Correct?
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Hi!
    Simple question: Did Jesus ever say he was God?
    Thank you!

There is so much supporting the belief that Jesus is God. AS for where He endorsed the doctrine Himaself, here are two examples:

John 8:58-59
    58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." 59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
    NKJV

Note who he said that he was "I AM". And the Jews went to stone Him for blasphemy. They understood. There is only one being who can simply say "I AM". Further, Jesus was making it clear that He is and was eternal and that applies to God alone.

John 20:28-29
    28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
    NKJV

Notice that Jesus endorses the statement by Thomas.

Nov 12, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Actually the bible says many things that are very much contradicted by the Catholic church. I am interested in the official stances, not in the Bible itself!
    Here is a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Where you can read the official stances of the church.

English Translation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church with Search Utility

Nov 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    There is so much supporting the belief that Jesus is God. AS for where He endorsed the doctrine Himaself, here are two examples:

John 8:58-59
    58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." 59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
    NKJV

Note who he said that he was "I AM". And the Jews went to stone Him for blasphemy. they understood. There is only one being who can simply say "I AM". Further, Jesus was making it clear that He is and was eternal and that applies to God alone.

John 20:28-29
    28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
    NKJV

Notice that Jesus endorses the statement by Thomas.

Thank you Tj3.
    I would like to know if these statements coming from the Bible are supported officially by any kind of division of Christianity. The Council of Nicea and the others after all support that Jesus is the Son of Sons and the God of Gods (if I am not mistaken).

Nov 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    Here is a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Where you can read the official stances of the church.

English Translation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church with Search Utility
    Here's what I found from your link, Wangdoodle:

The Church thus confesses that Jesus is inseparably true God and true man. He is truly the Son of God who, without ceasing to be God and Lord, became a man [...]

Brilliant. Thank you very much.

ONE DOWN!

What about Lutherism? Is it the same? Do Jeovah's Witnesses agree?

Obviously Islam doesn't agree. Nor does Judaism.

Oriental Orthodoxy? Anyone?
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Thank you Tj3.
    I would like to know if these statements coming from the Bible are supported officially by any kind of division of Christianity. The Council of Nicea and the others after all support that Jesus is the Son of Sons and the God of Gods (if I am not mistaken).
    I don't know where your terminology comes from, but the belief that Jesus is God is an essential of Christianity and thus all Christians support the belief that Jesus is God.

There may be those who profess to be Christians who deny this, but they cannot be Christians and deny what God says in His word.

Nov 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    I don't know where your terminology comes from, but the belief that Jesus is God is an essential of Christianity and thus all Christians support the belief that Jesus is God.

There may be those who profess to be Christians who deny this, but they cannot be Christians and deny what God says in His word.
    The First Nicean Council established that: "Jesus Christ is described as "God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God[...]"
    FrOsT_bItE Posts: 125, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 12, 2007, 08:44 PM
    k. so why did you want to know if Jesus ever say he was God? God was the father who sent Jesus down to Earth, that's all I now

Nov 12, 2007, 08:46 PM
    BOY do I LOVE Wikipedia...

Christology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you all for your help.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FrOsT_bItE
    k. so why did you want to know if Jesus ever say he was God? God was the father who sent Jesus down to Earth, thats all i now
    God came to earth in the flesh:

1 Tim 3:15-16
    16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:

God was manifested in the flesh,
    Justified in the Spirit,
    Seen by angels,
    Preached among the Gentiles,
    Believed on in the world,
    Received up in glory.
    NKJV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

Are Jesus and God the same? [ 43 Answers ]

I have learned that Jesus is God's son but I have also seen where people talk about God and Jesus as if they were the same person. Does it depend on the religion?

Did Jesus say I'm God [ 47 Answers ]

Did Jesus say to himself I'm God

Jesus and God [ 12 Answers ]

1 John 2:1 MY little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: An advocate is someone who pleads another's case before a judge, in this case God. I remembered this verse two days ago and...

View more questions Search